To search or not

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I need some advice.My M.Robustrum (subadult female),barricaded herself two weeks ago in
her burrow.I thought,okay,molting time.Go away and leave her alone.Friday,no more barricade,and saw her out at night,using my red night light.
She took a Dubia last night,but I can see no molt.Anywhere.
My question is,should I disturb her by checking out the burrow?I found only a bolus this morning by her water dish.I really don't want to dig through the substrate,and piss her off.

Should I be concerned about not seeing the molt exoskeleton?.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't be if it were me.

You don't know for sure if it's even molted. The T might have just wanted some quiet time.

Is it important to find the exoskeleton right now? You already know it to be a female and it's not going to cause any problems leaving it if there is one. I'd just leave it alone and it'll toss it out if it wants to.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks buddy,i was more concerned about pest issues.And your right about the molt .She looked bright the other night,but since all 3 are light sensitive its hard to get a good look using the night scope,ya know.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Agreed! My adult female Aphonopelma chalcodes barricaded herself in for over a month after I'd been feeding her more. I thought that she might be preparing to molt but no, just a fast. Even if your T did molt and left the exuvium in its burrow, I don't think it's worth disturbing the T to remove it.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah I've had Ts do that before. Just disappear and then reappear. My H. pulchripes sling did it a month or so ago. I figured it was molting but it came back out after a couple weeks looking exactly the same. Weirdos.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ok thanks.The short time ive been involved with these gems,they sure are head scratchers sometimes:wacky:.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My T.violaceus pulls this trick on me regularly. Buried in dirtcurtains and leaves, disappearing for a few weeks, and then one night or early morning, there she is again...no molts visible...oh well, I have my quirks, so do they :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No. My female molt without problems and I've spotted the exuvia/s down in the burrow, as a home-decor. When they are in pre molt, those T's in general seal the burrow entrance with web, and then they "disappear". When they decide to merge, as you noticed, they're ready for eat (however check always chelicerae color before).

Don't dig or something at all. They hate to being re-housed, moved, annoyed. Definitely a Theraphosidae that, the sooner in the final enclosure with a right set up, the better. Mark my words.