To Newbies... Spiderling Setups

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys, I just thought it might be helpful to the new people to see what size containers spiderlings call for. The first one is for a A. versicolor sling which is about 3/4-1 inch at the time. It uses a simple fake plant clipping, a "meshed" deli container from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply, and moist vermiculite as substrate. Peat can easily be substituted. For terrestrials I use the same cup, but with moist peat 3/4 full. The terrestrials don't need any decor, rather they normally dig their own burrow, but sometimes I provide a fake plant clipping for my terrestrials (such as a Chaco Golden Knee) and they won't burrow as a result. I also use such a setup for a obligate burrower, as they will burrow too.

For smaller terrestrials I use those little portion cups you see in the last picture. I would use those up to 2/3 inch or so, in place of vials if I need them for something else. Those you can get at many places that sell fast food, just ask to buy a few off of them, I'm sure they have tons. Poke 3 holes in the lid with a push pin and your set! The vial is just another example of an Arboreal enclosure...

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh yeah, for certain species that do a lot of webbing, like the green bottle blue, I don't give them a lot of substrate, rather I treat them like an arboreal and give them something to "web on". I use the deli containers (fruit fly cups) until they get about 2 inches in legspan, then I transfer them to a small pet-pal, or in the case of some of the Arboreals I use a 1 gallon jar... I'll post more pics later.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my ego

Hey Paul,
First of all, if I was the inspiration for making this little information session, I highly appreciate it. But even if i'm not the reason for your making this, it's a big help!
Is a s'ling harder to keep than a sub-adult, or an adult? they're obviously more fragile, and they seem to need more moisture monitoring. Am i getting in over my head?
The cups you mentioned, which are in the last picture, are they beveridge cups, or are they for somethig else? you had a bunch in a container, what was it? what would you put over the top of a cup like that?
will the s'ling have the maneuverability that's necessary to hunt it's prey if it's in a vial?
thanks for the info.
The Rookie

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey man,

"First of all, if I was the inspiration for making this little information session, I highly appreciate it. But even if i'm not the reason for your making this, it's a big help!"

No problem :)

"Is a s'ling harder to keep than a sub-adult, or an adult? they're obviously more fragile, and they seem to need more moisture monitoring. Am i getting in over my head?"

No not really... they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Spiderlings are certainly more fragile, but at the same time they take up less space and you can maintain humidity for them easily, while subadults it can be a little trickier, and they require more room. There is certainly less room for error with a spiderling, but I think you can handle it. It shouldn't be hard.

"The cups you mentioned, which are in the last picture, are they beveridge cups, or are they for somethig else? you had a bunch in a container, what was it? what would you put over the top of a cup like that? "

If you are refering to the 2oz portion cups, they are the things you get at fast food places to fill with ketchup. The lids come with them, if you go to your local Subway (where I used to work) you should be able to ask for some with lids for side orders... they might charge you, but not a lot I suppose. They were all together in a kritter keeper. That was just easier for transportational purpouses.

"will the s'ling have the maneuverability that's necessary to hunt it's prey if it's in a vial? "

It shouldn't nessesarly have to hunt. Normally, you drop it in, and it catches it. So yes... but there is a certain point shortly after it gets larger you should switch to a deli cup. If you don't feel your spider has enough room, by all means move it into a larger deli cup. I just use vials for spiders which are really little... the spider in that vial you saw would probably be the largest I would keep in a vial long term, maybe for one more molt. And it was about 2/3 of an inch in size. With vials you have to be careful, and mist lite, because it is very easy to "pool" the bottom of a vial!! I almost drowned the particular spider you see there doing that.

Hope that helps,
Pauly

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
water bowls

hey paul, or anybody else for that matter,
for the s'ling, is a smaller watter dish appropriate? or should i just mist frequently? are s'lings ready for a water dish right from the get-go. should i soak cotton in water..isn't that sometimes suggested?
Thanks again,
The Rookie

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definitly NO to the cotton. Cotton festers bacteria, as do spounges.

You should just mist more frequently til it reaches 3 inches or so, then provide a water dish.