To feed or not to feed...

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
My 1.5" versicolor molted on Wednesday and, since it was in premolt, it hasn't eaten in 4 weeks. I've been offering plenty of water for it, but it's abdomen is really small and slightly shrivelled. The fangs are mostly dark but they're still red near the base of the fangs. I poked its tubeweb today to imitate a prey item and it walked over to where the disturbance was, obviously looking for food. I'm worried that it needs to be fed asap.
So it's been 3 days since the molt and I'm not completely sure if it's hardened up completely. But if it's acting hungry is it okay to feed, or should I wait until tomorrow just to be safe?

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really don't think it'll starve, but if you are overly worried you could try feeding it tomorrow. If I were in your position I still would wait till this upcoming tuesday or wednesday. Feeding it now could hurt it more then help it; lets say you try to feed it and it doesn't want to eat it and is just getting stressed by it, then you have to go in and stress it more by trying to remove it. I personally would wait till monday atleast.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I really don't think it'll starve, but if you are overly worried you could try feeding it tomorrow. If I were in your position I still would wait till this upcoming tuesday or wednesday. Feeding it now could hurt it more then help it; lets say you try to feed it and it doesn't want to eat it and is just getting stressed by it, then you have to go in and stress it more by trying to remove it. I personally would wait till monday atleast.
Okay I'll wait a couple more days. How long would it be able to go without food?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay I'll wait, thanks. How long would it be able to go without food?
I'm pretty sure a couple of weeks, just try to feed it tuesday. Just make sure it still has water via waterdish or misting.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd wait at least until the exosqueleton had hardened a bit and the spider regain enough stamina to repel an attacking crix. Past this point ,your animal will eat whenever it feels ready!

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
abdomen

The somewhat shriveled abdomern might mean she needs a drink of water. Maybe mist more, and wait a couple more days before feeding again. Feeding too soon will just stress the T whos just been thru an ordeal of molting.