Tityus stigmurus

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love how communal this Tityus sp is I have 5 living in a dvd spindle and they are doing great together 2 have moulted to adults I think.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Pretty :D they look kind of like tityus serrulatus but I see how they are different species :) So are these guys highly venomous like serrulatus.

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes they are BigJ999 from what I have read, I hope I never find out for my self.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
You and me both :D I think its good to have the info available though :) Not that I plan on getting stung but I like to know what im dealing with :)

Longimanus

Arachnopeon
Interesting DIY Enclosure... could you please post a pic of the entire enclosure pls... Cheers

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its a 100 dvd spindle I cut a hole in the top where the rod was connected and hot glued a plastic bottle top to it and added holes for ventilation.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pretty cool. Nice species, you'll have them coming out your ears soon.

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
AzJohn I hope so I would love to have a nice colony some day

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pretty :D they look kind of like tityus serrulatus but I see how they are different species :) So are these guys highly venomous like serrulatus.
Yep, PoPpiLLs is right, T. stigmurus is highly venomous. There should be a lot of literature on them, as they are involved in many cases of scorpionism.

@PoPpiLLs, great species! Breeding should be easy, so enjoy the species.:D;)

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Cool enclosure, cant really see thru tho. These guys are parthenogenic right? Cos if they are, well ur gonna have a huge communal tank in the future :}.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Yep, PoPpiLLs is right, T. stigmurus is highly venomous. There should be a lot of literature on them, as they are involved in many cases of scorpionism.

@PoPpiLLs, great species! Breeding should be easy, so enjoy the species.:D;)
Yep figured lol well not much of a shock though considering it is closely related to T.serrulatus another highly venomous species. Im now between the T.serrulatus and T. stigmurus :D both are very attractive sp :D despite the highly venomous part lol

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep figured lol well not much of a shock though considering it is closely related to T.serrulatus another highly venomous species. Im now between the T.serrulatus and T. stigmurus :D both are very attractive sp :D despite the highly venomous part lol
Both serrulatus and stigmurus are parthenogenetic. Both have a fast growth rate, but serrulatus are more venomous. LD ~0.32 compared to ~0.66

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
That's a pretty low LD50 0.32 :S although the Deathstalker has a LD50 of 0.25 needless to say both species are highly venomous .

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, but Leiurus quinquestriatus ("deathstalker"is such an overdramatised name) venom leads to different symptoms than Tityus envenomations...It is not that simple, it is not, the scorpionvenom with the lowest LD50 is the most dangerous.......Remember, Tityus obscurus resulted in the death of a 16 year old kid in French Guyana, 16 hours after the sting. This species veom has an LD50 value of over 14..........

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Hmm, so Michiel. The LD50 values are the amount of venom tested to kill mice and the lower the amount of venom tested to kill it, the more potent it is, right? Dam, I know nothing about this at all, gotta research more. This is pretty interesting!

Whatever the LD50 values of LQ and TS, hands off is the best! :}

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LD 50 is the amount of venom needed in milligrams, per kilo of bodyweight (=mouse) to kill 50% of the mice...LD= lethal dosis.....So i.e. when the LD50 value of a certain species is 6.7 mg/ kg, this means that 6.7 milligram per kilo of mouse is needed to kill half the mice.....

I am not a toxicologist so maybe this explanation is incomplete. The higher the LD50 value, the less toxic the venom........and vice versa......The LD50 method (-s) have been critisized the past years. you should be able to dig up some articles on the net.....

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Thanks for explaining more to me. I will dig up more and learn if time permits. But half a mice? Quite a weird way of measurement {D.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no not half a mouse, silly boy/ girl, half of all the mice used in the test..........LOL

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Haha my mistake!

OP, how big are those CD spindles? They look really good for barks and juvenile burrowing scorps and many other inverts, i may just get some if they are big enough.