Tityus Stigmurus Communal (potential new project?)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Welp. My GF just upgraded her leopard Geckos and gave them a mansion size enclosure so we now have a spare Exo terra Tall Arboreal enclosure.

I currently have 1 T stig scorpling But figured I might as well put the enclosure to use and make a communal project. I wanted something nice in display somewhat of a "Naturalistic enclosure" with colorful scorps to see, maybe 10 or more inside (My C gracilis were so dull to look at lol)
Anybody currently have a communal setup for them? As example
(no your Tupperware with a cork hide doesn't count lol)

Pic is of spare enclosure I have

Attachments

Stugy

Arachnolord
Well I know that quite a few people keep T.stigmurus communally and plus since they are parthenogenetic I can't see why not. But giving the babies individual enclosures would be better and adults for the communal.
Edit: realized that you didn't really ask for the last info concerning the babies and stuff but whatever. Anybody who comes here can read that and may learn a bit xD

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Keep them like a C gracious. Plenty of vertical bark and hidey holes.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have actually noticed that Tityus stigmurus seems to grow much better in a communal group. I start with 3 2i set up in individual containers. Took them a long time to mature. Now I have close to 30 together and the babies from the first three are maturing much faster.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Interesting... I'm Not sure the best way to go about this. I have 1 Tityus scorpling but doesn't sound like I should include it in the communal setup if I purchase larger ones... i gotta keep the little one separate for a long time -_-

I want to purchase more but what's the best AGE to keep the communal? Safe at any instar before adulthood?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Well I know that quite a few people keep T.stigmurus communally and plus since they are parthenogenetic I can't see why not. But giving the babies individual enclosures would be better and adults for the communal.
Edit: realized that you didn't really ask for the last info concerning the babies and stuff but whatever. Anybody who comes here can read that and may learn a bit xD
It helped lol any info does. I'm completely new to these guys and keeping communal sp. In general

Stugy

Arachnolord
Interesting... I'm Not sure the best way to go about this. I have 1 Tityus scorpling but doesn't sound like I should include it in the communal setup if I purchase larger ones... i gotta keep the little one separate for a long time -_-

I want to purchase more but what's the best AGE to keep the communal? Safe at any instar before adulthood?
It would be safer to make sure they are adults. You probably can pull it off with any instar if you keep the enclosure large and full of hiding spots

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've kept Tityus stigmurus for six years now. In that time, I've kept them communally the entire time. I've had maybe 2 losses due to cannibalism, but it was due to a specimen being injured and other specimen being underfed. They are the ONLY species I would ever recommend raising them communally. There is a habit of members wanting to raise everything possible communally and I also used to try such endeavors, but your confirmation bias will make your successes seem bigger, and your failures will hurt less. But after a while, those failures will add up and really bum you out. The one thing I dont want to do to new members, people I sell scorpions to, etc, is to set them up for failure. Always take caution.

That being said, I dont caution communal raising of Tityus together. I had 200+ in a 5 gallon at one time. Just keep them well fed as they are little piggies. What I do caution is watching for their sting. They are sting happy and from what Ive heard and read, it isnt fun!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Hmmm gives me a tad more confident to just order a bunch sooner lol. My concern was having to Waite until whatever ones I bought matured out... (forever.. I would never just toss things together and hope they worked. I blow up these pages harassing everyone for info before hand.

I have read there sting is pretty nasty... mine is maybe 2 - 3i right now and the second i take his lid off his enclosure. He runs around like a spaz.

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use to keep these communally before I left the hobby about 6 or 7 years ago I'm getting ready to come back and I think these are going to to be the first species I keep but I don't see them for sale like I use to before I left the hobby ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I use to keep these communally before I left the hobby about 6 or 7 years ago I'm getting ready to come back and I think these are going to to be the first species I keep but I don't see them for sale like I use to before I left the hobby ArachnoDrew
Awesome. Welcome back lol. They are definitely still available. I can get them from 3 different sources. Different prices.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Invertebrates magazine had a nice article sometime back on keeping and breeding T stigmurus.