Tips on taking ts across states

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
im moving from fl to tennessee soon, and i was wondering just how stressful such a ride could be to my t's. its not that long of a drive, about 12 hours. think there are any special measures i should take?:confused:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
the longest car ride I've done with Ts is about 3 hours. I just left them in their containers, after making sure that nothing could come tumbling down onto them, and made sure the containers were secure so they couldn't move. I also removed the water dishes so they wouldn't splash all over.
hope that helps!
Holley

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've hauled them back and forth from Virginia to Florida when I was in college - 14 hours - and all I ever did was make sure the kritterkeepers were well secured and removed waterbowls and hides that could bang around. Never had an incident.

So long as you don't drive in the middle of winter with all the windows down or leave them sealed in the car in the summer for a prolonged period of time shouldn't be an issue.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I travel down to see my parents I have to take an 6 hour bus ride, then a 2 hour ferry ride and then another two hours of bussing. I usually bring a spider down to show my parents because they are fascinated by my involvement in the hobby. I usually keep the spider in a container without water and hides like Code monkey said. I also try and make sure that the spider is concealed so that nobody will find it if I get searched for some reason. YEt, I still wanna be bale to have easy access to it to check on it.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Up, up, and away

I haven't traveled any more than an hour in a car at a time with my Pulchra. I run a much greater risk, however, because November in Canada is different from November in Florida. Never had a problem though. The jostling usually stresses Peso out, but it has never harmed him.
I'm looking forward to trying to smuggle him onto the plane for christmas.
Paul

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rookie:

Fill a backpack up halfway with clothing. Place the spiders container on top of the clothes. Then put more clothes on top of the spiders enclosure. That way it is well concelaed but then if you need to check up on it all you hafta do is move some clothes around a little bit. I have done this successfully dozens of times with many different species.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ey Jacen (or anyone) if they x-ray the bag in which the T's are concealed; will they be visible to the folks x-raying? And would I be in trouble if they were? ;P

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am a dealer,
i take as many as 300 t's sometimes as long as 12 hours.
i do this as often as 3 times amonth.
I've never had to do anything speical or had any problems
keep the car at a good temp.remove water dishs and put them in a secure place
Bryan

p.s. sometimes they will kick alot of hair if it's a bumpy ride

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i have heard that x-ray won't pick up t's and this is how many get smuggled in the usa, is this true?--Jeff

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know about the x-raying, but to answer your question schlinkey:
they won't let you on board with the T if they find it unless you check it in with your other luggage (which i would never be willing to do). i called ahead and asked the airline if i could take it as a carry-on. i couldn't, of course, since they deemed it as 'unsafe'. i would have to store it tightly in with my luggage, and mark the container as 'hazardous'. i had a huge post complaining about this about 10 pages back. i'd try to carry it on my person (it won't set off the metal detecter, so why not) but jacen's idea would be my second choice. just my thoughts on the subject.
Paul

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It wouldn't show on x-ray as there's not dense bodies in the T to show up, as far as the x-ray machine is concerned it's all soft tissue and will blend in with the rest of your bag contents. What would stop me from trying to take one on a flight is the assinine and pointless random bag checks. No matter how well you pack it, you've got about a 1:20 chance (or 1:1 if you fit their "non-existent" profiles) of losing your T or losing your money on the flight.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with CM. It seems like a pretty big risk. I could see myself being arrested for a suspected terrorist plot to hijack an airplane using " a deadly tarantula".:rolleyes:

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok so then i guess its not necessary to pack them like in shipping them:rolleyes: . wouldnt have brought up such an old thread, but im moving this friday and decided to reread the suggestions. i had thought id have to pack them tightly like when shipping them. i guess ill just put them in some deli cups with a moist sponge and put them all in a box. thanks for the input guys.;)