Tips on keeping slings warm ?

spyyder

Arachnopeon
I live in a drafty old house, in Southern Canada and we are approaching the colder months so I'm getting a little nervous wondering how to keep my little collection of 8 slings warm in their little containers ♡

I have a couple ideas heat lamp at a safe distance of course, heat pad seems like a possible idea but not really leaning that way right now.. and obviously a space heater for the room would be great but last year that destroyed my hydro bill so was just hoping to hear what others in a similar situation have done :)

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Heat the space is still the best option. If you don't want to heat the room, heat a larger enclosure with a thermostat controlled heat source and place the sling enclosures in that.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I make a nursery. Heating pad with a temperature controller on the back of a 12x12 glass enclosure. Put sling pots inside at a distance from the pad. It creates a micro environment for them.

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
I live in a drafty old house, in Southern Canada and we are approaching the colder months so I'm getting a little nervous wondering how to keep my little collection of 8 slings warm in their little containers ♡

I have a couple ideas heat lamp at a safe distance of course, heat pad seems like a possible idea but not really leaning that way right now.. and obviously a space heater for the room would be great but last year that destroyed my hydro bill so was just hoping to hear what others in a similar situation have done :)
Space heater

cold blood

Staff member
If a space heater isnt an option, or if you just have a few slings, a great option is to get a larger aquarium, heat that by placing a heat pad on the side, then place your sling enclosure(s) within that heated aquarium....this takes a potentially dangerous direct heat and turns it into a safe secondary heat, creating what is essentially a micro-climate....and the heat pad shouldn't affect your heating costs at all, and i know in canada those costs are getting out of hand.

Gevo

Arachnosquire
I'm in Canada too. I also live in a house with pretty crappy insulation, and everyone is fine in winter as long as my central heating is working properly and the indoor temperatures stay between 18-22C. I keep my enclosures away from the doors so the tarantulas don't get blasts of cold air when someone opens a door (quick temperature drops from an open door or window are bad), and I have a space heater for emergency situations, but otherwise, I don't worry about it. If your walls get cold in a deep freeze, move them away from the wall, and if there's a warmer spot in your house that's away from drafts, consider moving them there, but avoid placing them anwhere where they'll get direct blasts from a radiator or warm air vent too. Sudden temperature fluctuations aren't great for them.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
I live in Canada, quebec.

its getting preeetty cold. And winter this year will hit one day and stay. Its going to be a niña winter for us. Hydro doubling the taces/fees is going to make it a hard year for everyone this winter. I also suspect a lot of snow. Hopefully that should isolate our homes somewhat. But its not going to be like last year. If weather interests you, there is ton on what is to come in canada online if you search for it.

i keep many indoor plants and am a professional horticulturist. So weather needs to be part of my everyday life.

i have a “blown air” system. So everything is equal in the house. However, its a very dry heat. Thats where youll need to make sure your slings are properly cared for, if you have extreme dry indoors. Its Warmer in the rooms when doors are closed. I will be getting a space heater because my tarantulas are in a big open space. I will see if i actualy need it. But i rather have it just in case. I also need to buy a generator. Because we have a sum pump. Its been very bad flooding and in winter it still happens. If anyone looking to buy a generator, dont get a just fuel one. Way to much maintenance if not used often. Go with the propane/fuel option. You won’t regret it.

if i had slings, id make a nursery like mentionned above: a heat pad on outside wall of bigger enclosure, with slings inside. And get a thermostat regulator, if you can afford it. It won’t be a waste. It really helps you keep a control on things. It is on my bucket list.

when i get more money saved up, im getting a slow combustion fireplace. The pipes are installed and everything. Just need to buy the fireplace. Thats going to help in case of poweroutages and for the pipes.

folks, i hope you have your backup plans in check. This winter is going to be a real canadian one.

if im wrong, we can all laugh about it in six months and be merry. But if you hadnt noticed the colors changing early and quickly, then dont say i didnt warn you.

Last edited: