Tiny white mites :(

Poonjab

Arachnoking
They are harmless. Most likely grain mites. Get some springtails in there and it will help run them. I now keep them in with all my species that require damp sub.

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
They are harmless. Most likely grain mites. Get some springtails in there and it will help run them. I now keep them in with all my species that require damp sub.
Thank you! I already have springtails (they are the best) but I saw a few mites on some supplemental food as well, so I'll slow it down with the "treats". Are the mites any danger in those numbers on the millipedes? I'd hate for them to feel constantly stressed by having mites crawl on them.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Thank you! I already have springtails (they are the best) but I saw a few mites on some supplemental food as well, so I'll slow it down with the "treats". Are the mites any danger in those numbers on the millipedes? I'd hate for them to feel constantly stressed by having mites crawl on them.
In large numbers I know mites can stress Tarantulas. I’m not sure about millipedes. Just make sure they don’t have a food source. Like with my T’s once I kept things more tidy, they just went away. Springtails did wonders on them too.

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
In large numbers I know mites can stress Tarantulas. I’m not sure about millipedes. Just make sure they don’t have a food source. Like with my T’s once I kept things more tidy, they just went away. Springtails did wonders on them too.
Awesome, thank you. I'm assuming the ones there on my millipede is considered a small number because I saw worse cases while researching😅

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Yeah, obviously observe and keep an eye out for changes. They look like those stupid grain mites to me. Took about a month for me before they finally cleared up.

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Yeah, obviously observe and keep an eye out for changes. They look like those stupid grain mites to me. Took about a month for me before they finally cleared up.
I found the problem, I got a little too generous with dried shrimp and that's what caused the boom. I'm going to stop with supplemental feeding for awhile and see if the population goes down from lack of food and competition with springtails. I understand the hatred for these mites now.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I found the problem, I got a little too generous with dried shrimp and that's what caused the boom. I'm going to stop with supplemental feeding for awhile and see if the population goes down from lack of food and competition with springtails. I understand the hatred for these mites now.
with my moisture dependent species of T’s I let the enclosures “slightly” dry out too. That helped as well. I just don’t know enough about millipedes. I do however know that mites drive me up a wall.

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
with my moisture dependent species of T’s I let the enclosures “slightly” dry out too. That helped as well. I just don’t know enough about millipedes. I do however know that mites drive me up a wall.
I'll try that as well, I'm sure I can lessen on the misting for a few days as well. Gotta cull these inferior organisms🤣

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Mites usually means too much uneaten and or rotten food in the enclosure, limit this to dial back the mite population. They likely won’t bother your pedes in smaller density populations but if unchecked they can quickly become quite numerous, leading to stressed out millipedes. This can have detrimental effects in the extended time frame of your millipedes lives. Cheers