Tiny centipede?

vexy

Arachnopeon
Hello!
This morning, I sprayed down the millipede tank as I do every morning, when a tiny centipede darted into the soil!! He's very small and a sort of rusty red color. I got one of my pebes out, but the other is buried so I couldn't catch him.

Is the centipede okay to be in the tank with them? I can describe him but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get a photo once I get home. I'm worried about if he'll hurt them while they're molting or sleeping.

If he's beneficial or okay to be in the enclosure he's 100% allowed to stay!! But he'll have to go if he's not >> I might put him in a separate little container instead of killing him since I don't want to release a potentially non-native species.

I got the substrate from Josh's Frogs if it helps!

vexy

Arachnopeon
Hello!
This morning, I sprayed down the millipede tank as I do every morning, when a tiny centipede darted into the soil!! He's very small and a sort of rusty red color. I got one of my pebes out, but the other is buried so I couldn't catch him.

Is the centipede okay to be in the tank with them? I can describe him but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get a photo once I get home. I'm worried about if he'll hurt them while they're molting or sleeping.

If he's beneficial or okay to be in the enclosure he's 100% allowed to stay!! But he'll have to go if he's not >> I might put him in a separate little container instead of killing him since I don't want to release a potentially non-native species.

I got the substrate from Josh's Frogs if it helps!
UPDATE: upon investigating the soil, I found that one of my millipedes has unfortunately passed.

Jimmyboi

Arachnopeon
Centipedes can predate Millipedes depending on the size! Could be a wild specimen that got in via the ventilation openings. I recommend a rehousing with all new substrate. Maybe keep the substrate from the old enclosure to raise the Centipedes though?

vexy

Arachnopeon
Centipedes can predate Millipedes depending on the size! Could be a wild specimen that got in via the ventilation openings. I recommend a rehousing with all new substrate. Maybe keep the substrate from the old enclosure to raise the Centipedes though?
I ended up destroying the previous substrate, and microwaved my new substrate before rebuilding the tank. On the bright side, my one remaining millipede seems excited exploring the new setup!! ;w; I think it was just a little soil centipede that ended up in the substrate at Josh's Frogs. It appeared to be just one. I kind of feel bad for having killed it, though-- if I see any in the future maybe I'll isolate them and get into the centipede market ;P

Royal Rover

Arachnopeon
I'm wondering if the centipede you're describing is like this:
1680196107143.png
I must say I'm unfamiliar with this Order, but based upon my knowledge they commonly reside in soil preying on small insects & leaf litter. I think it shouldn't be a big problem to healthy adult millipedes with protection from their exoskeleton. Of course, it'd be one if molting is ongoing.
It's unfortunate that one of your millipedes has passed away. Just curious about the size of your millipedes, compared with the centipede.
I'd also like to hear a second sound from other experienced hobbyists.

vexy

Arachnopeon
I'm wondering if the centipede you're describing is like this:
View attachment 442262
I must say I'm unfamiliar with this Order, but based upon my knowledge they commonly reside in soil preying on small insects & leaf litter. I think it shouldn't be a big problem to healthy adult millipedes with protection from their exoskeleton. Of course, it'd be one if molting is ongoing.
It's unfortunate that one of your millipedes has passed away. Just curious about the size of your millipedes, compared with the centipede.
I'd also like to hear a second sound from other experienced hobbyists.
My living millipede is... Maybe 3 inches long?? And the centipede was very tiny. Looked very similar to the one in the pic, yes

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
My living millipede is... Maybe 3 inches long?? And the centipede was very tiny. Looked very similar to the one in the pic, yes
I had a vibrant culture of small stone centipedes, Tidabius tivius, for a decade or two that would get into other culture sometimes and I'd wager they cannot harm anything bigger than 1/4"

vexy

Arachnopeon
I had a vibrant culture of small stone centipedes, Tidabius tivius, for a decade or two that would get into other culture sometimes and I'd wager they cannot harm anything bigger than 1/4"
I see :0 I think next time I see anything like it I'll try to nab them and maybe put them in their own lil vivarium :>