Tiny and Scarlet

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Since most of my pics in the last thread I started were of Rose, here are some pics of my A.Avic and my B.Smithi, or, Tiny and Scarlet.

I like this back-lit silouette...s'cool. Think I'll make a avatar out of it.

Attachments

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks to me like your A avic, is about to molt soon, time to bust up the humidty.

Sincerely,

Brandon

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
This is Scarlet. Im gunna try and coax her out for some more pics. Id like to get her to climb her walls so I can have her sexed. I think shes a she but....:confused:

Attachments

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Originally posted by Brandon
Looks to me like your A avic, is about to molt soon, time to bust up the humidty.

Sincerely,

Brandon
Really ? how can u tell ? I cant tell ! :S Her bum is already black....anyway, Ill spray right away. Thanks.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Sincerely,

Brandon
Since this is a thread about A. avicularia, I've been meaning to ask.......how do you keep humidity extremely high besides the usual spraying of the tank? When I'm home I am like the Manic Mist-er using my spray gun as a lethal weapon every chance I get. But when I'm at school (Which on some cases is all day.) I'm just not there to spray the tank and substrate in an obsessively compulsive manner ever 5 hours.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Um, I dont think you need to spray that much. In fact, spraying to much can lead to molds and other nasties. I think I should leave the answering up to the experts though.

Personally I spray every other day.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider_savior
Um, I dont think you need to spray that much. In fact, spraying to much can lead to molds and other nasties. I think I should leave the answering up to the experts though.

Personally I spray every other day.
My problem is that my apartment is very dry so the substrate tends to dry out pretty fast. Every time I check the substrate after I get home from school it's dry as a bone.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Godzilla, humidity is way over emphasized for Avics (and most other species). My solution is I do nothing for any T I have and "miraculously" they all do fine.

I keep my slings moist, and I try to keep species like Pamphos with slightly moist substrate, but I do absolutely nothing to raise humidity in any tank and think that any measure you do short of getting a room humidifier will always do more harm than good unless you're talking a moisture *loving* species like a T. blondi (and there's even a lot of reason to believe that they can thrive under dry conditions). I do mist my Avics about once a week, but that's for drinking purposes since I never see them go for their water bowl.

Too many new keepers (and even some experienced ones) stress themselves out over factors that I believe do nothing to promote the health of Ts.

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Code Monkey,
The reason that it is best to keep the humidty higher with species like avics is because when the do molt, the legs sometimes become slightly deformed and hair dosnt come off with the molt. Causing a rather odd looking tarantula. The legs may get better with the next molt but then again they might get worse. So its better to be safe than sorry.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Code Monkey,
The reason that it is best to keep the humidty higher with species like avics is because when the do molt, the legs sometimes become slightly deformed and hair dosnt come off with the molt. Causing a rather odd looking tarantula. The legs may get better with the next molt but then again they might get worse. So its better to be safe than sorry.

Sincerely,

Brandon
My feeling is that the legs getting stuck or not has everything to do with hydration and nothing to do with humidity. Been through several Avic moults in my day and never had a problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my philosophy, and more importantly, don't break it by trying to fix something that doesn't need fixed.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
SS,
Tiny isn't so tiny..*lol* I do like the backlit shot..very cool. I have not the slightest idea how big my A. avic is (remember me writing awhile back? About popping its leg off, accidentally? It molted fine.) I did measure the exuvium, and I think its 1.5 inches.
Your smithi is really nice too..:)
Peace,
Gillian

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
No, shes no sling thats for sure, but shes still pretty little....or it.. what ever her gender is dont know.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Heres why I call her Tiny....look @ her compared to the...my hand! Shes not big yet !

Attachments

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Pinktoe looks exactly like yours. Did somebody earlier say yours looked pre-molt? *is acting like a paranoid fool now.* But she's a real beauty though. ;)

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as humidity goes....

I think you should pay a little bit more attention to humidity than CODE MONKEY suggest but not much more. I forgot where I found this nugget of info (petbugs.com I think) but it said that however much humidity the Tarantula needed then that's how much you should cover up the lid. For example, 70% humidity - cover up 70% of the lid. They suggest using some type of platic wrap but I myself use clear packing tape. You can't even tell it's there and it works. So far I only have this on the lids for my Maculata and my emperor scorps. Every new tank I make for a T I monitor the temp and humidity for a few days and then just let it be. I don't think everyone out there, especially the people with over 100 T's, can have a temp and humidity gauges in every terrarium.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Here is a few of Scarlet since she was out of her pot "burrow" this AM. I moved to much and she dashed back in. Such a scardy-spider. Does she not know she is a GIANT SPIDER ? :?

Attachments