tinney feet, sugestions needed

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi all, i have an Emp due to pop, i have had slings before but in a much smaller enviroment. Sh is currently in a 40 Gal tank, dyg in nice and deep, shes a big, and i do mean big, a good 20 -23 cm long. she has been co-habiting for a long time now. I have to clean the tank out this weekend, not ideal, but its a must, it is stinking, and full of fruit flies, Its done well though nearly 18 months since i put the soil in.
My Q is, should i rehouse her in a small tank, to make feeding the slings easier, or just leave her in the large tank. Does it make much differance. If so what are the minimum dimentions sugested

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They pretty much stick to the burrow, basically never come out (have yet to see mine out for more than 2 minutes, didn't come even 3 inches out of the burrow) so size of the tank is a non-issue pretty much. A larger tank may make it easier to keep a high humidity (more soil takes longer to dry out..) and humidity is real important for the little guys.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
how small is small??? how are you keepin it, what food do you have, what temp/humidity are you keepin it at

scorpio scorp

Arachnopeon
questions

pin head crickits for food its in a geo small tank. its just under an inch long maybe smaller i have a heat matt.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yeh sounds ok, add a small water dish with gavel or sand or cotten wool in it so he cant fall in and drown. if its an inch he you could probably go for 1st or 2nd instar crickets, emps will normaly take on prey about 1/3 its size or half depentant on how breave or hungry they are. Keep the temp around 30 Deg C, humidity around 80%, or so that the soil feels dampo to the touch.
As its new leave alone for 2 - 4 weeks so it cools off and beds in.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A heavy misting 2 or 3 times a week, rain water is best, but tap or boild water is fine

scorpio scorp

Arachnopeon
heat

ok it has about 4 pin heads in the tank now will that be ok for now? he is burrowed right back were the heat matt is the matt is against the back of the tank is that ok? coz the tank does not feel hot or warm rather?

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
back the heat mat with tin foil, shiny side facing into the tank, then back it again with cardboard. You wont loss as much heat. How much ventaltion is there in the tank/tanks lid

scorpio scorp

Arachnopeon
ventilation

ok will do, it is well ventilated it has holes all alone the sides of the lid not big enough for anthing to get through but big enough for good ventilation. anything else? oh i only have a very shallow water dish anyway?

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cover 3/4 of the venilation holes up. this will raise the temp and the humidity. Baby Emps are hard as nails, but they do rely on a high temp and humidity
what coulour is its sting

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
good, its just emps get confused with other scorps, you should feed it 2 or 3 crickets once or twice a week, but dont worry if it doesnt eat, they can go months woithout food. However if it doesnt eat remove the crckets, they can stress the scorp if to mant are left to run around, so if there not eaten within 24 hrs i remove them

scorpio scorp

Arachnopeon
question

oh yeah the woman in the pet shop said that baby scorpions had to be covered at all times coz they dont like the light?and what are they like handleing wise?

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yep, how long is the tank. cork bark is great it does not grow mold or fungus, ideal for warm damp enviroments. Dont confine yourself to crickets ether, meal worms, wax worms, locust, spiders, are all good, and its good to swap n change. Also look aftre and feed your feeders as much as you do your scorp, if you starve or keep your feeders in poor conditions, your scorp suffers by eating food of a poor quality.

scorpio scorp

Arachnopeon
dark

ok no worries, what about keeping him covered up thats what the lady in the pet shop said coz they dont like the dark or something?

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh yeah the woman in the pet shop said that baby scorpions had to be covered at all times coz they dont like the light?and what are they like handleing wise?
Yeh Emps are nocturnal, they will hide from the light, but they do need it, so they can tell night n day, you will notice it come to the mouth of its burrow at night, and maybe out for a walk. As for handeling, each individual is different, slings are notoriasly agressive (little man syndrom) but if you have to handle it, leave it cool of for at least a month. Then plcae your habd in and try to encorage it to walk on to your habd, this is less stresfull for the scorp, or alternativly, tail it (pick it up by the tail, but as it gets bigger what out for its claws, they hurt and they can flip over and get ya, i know from experiance