Tim's strange plant thread

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's a close up of one plant. You can see they're partial to Fungus Gnats as well.....

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Man, you have quite the garden going Tim. Beautiful stuff.

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some cactus mimic local stones. Here's a pretty Echinocereus ridgidispinus var. rubrispinus I grew from seed. It's 3 years old.

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's a cool one. Smells like steer manure; not so stomach wrenching as some stapeliads. The frilly things on the bottom move at the slightest breeze.

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tim, Do you have to hand feed all your bug eating plants or are there enought just flying/crawling around inside the greenhouse?

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks, all

You know, by putting the Stapeliads close to the carnivorous plants, all the flies in the 'hood end up in the greenhouse. And the carnivorous plants get real, real, healthy ;-) I just hope the neighbor's appreciate all the hard work ;)

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Beautiful Butterwort! They're so whimsical looking. :p

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice plants everybody!

This one is called Miracle Fruit(Synsepalum dulcificum). I haven't got any fruits out of it yet but I'm looking forward to it. The fruit contains a glycoprotein that alters your sense of taste for about an hour after consuming. It makes sour things taste sweet.

Here is another neat one that I picked up recently.
Bulbophyllum minutissimum - said to be one the smallest orchids in the world.
Not a very good picture but you get the idea.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey andy83, I've had that miracle fruit you mentioned and yes, it did mess around with my taste buds :D I ate a lemon and it tasted like an orange. My friends also tried it and all but one had their sense of taste altered. I guess it works for some and not for others, but it's something worth trying out for sure.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh wow Tim, you're really making me miss my plant collection. Happy growing, I'm going to have a go at redoing a bog garden this summer.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just wanted to add my own carnivourous plant garden terrarrium prodject, if it is welcome...I am sorry about the pic's being in reverse..and sadly my VFT Dente' didn't make it.

I now realize I put everything too close together to start too...There have been new additions, updates soon.

maurus

Arachnopeon
Nice. Where'd you purchase them. Also VFT's don't like high humidity, neither do Sarracenia.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some from black jungle, some from my local greenhouse, new ones from Carnivorous Plant Nursery. I will add some venalation to the top, I always thought if you could get the spagnum moss to grow your environment was pretty spot on. I also transplanted the Pitcher plant to a vase type container.

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Love that first Stap, Tim, and your Echinocereus ridgidispinus is a beauty!

Nepenthe56

Arachnopeon
Username

This is a Nepenthes. The trap is also a modified leaf, and it contains chemical to sedate it's prey, as well as surfactants to wet insects which drowns them faster. They get big enough to catch rats, and there is documentary proof that they do.

And that is the plant I took my username from!

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

My Mom gave me these this weekend. They're really pretty and have some strange tentacles coming off the back of the flower. Never seen any flower like it, not sure what they are.

Here's another strange flower. My Mom told me it's a tropical plant that's "rare and expensive" but she doesn't know what it's called. Anyone have any ideas?

The second is a bromiliad.

Thanks, all.
To be more specific on the second picture, Billbergia nutans.

james broad

Arachnopeon
Waooo...TimV great plants you have grown in your nursery....
But in our area none of them is available