Tiger hisser(what is it, really???)

What is the Tiger hisser's real latin name???

• Total voters

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, so some sites say the tiger hissing cockroach's latin name is P. vanwaerebecki(just a morph of), while other say it's G. grandidieri, so which one is it?

-Eric

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a morph of Princisia vanwaerebecki. If you keep a good size breeding colony of the tigers, you will eventually produce some of the other Princisia morphs in that colony. The other morphs aren't really apparent though until they become subadults-adults. Also, Gromphadorhina grandidieri is a different species altogether that no one in the U.S. seems to have yet. They look kind of like the black morph G. portentosa and don't have any of the Princisia red/orange markings down their sides.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My current hissers(G. portentosa) also have red/prange markings down their sides, i also noticed the body of the tiger is very close to the body of portentosa.

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Herp13, Xelda answered your question "tiger hissers" are a morph of Princisia vanwaerebecki, I agree they are a morph of Prinicisia vanwerebecki, unless you can prove they are Gromphadordina grandidieri, then really its just irrelevent.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update: I just got some of the true G. grandidieri. I'll post some pictures in a month or two.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kevin(a roach collector) at bugnation.com has said otherwise, posting pics of both species and explaining, you should see it, i'll get a link up in a little.

Well, looks like he beat me here. According to another one of Kevins posts, he has just contradicted himself. Anyways, a few pics would be nice, that would really clear things up a bit:)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Princisia is an invalid genus. I don't think that's something roach hobbyists can vote away.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Uh, sorry for sounding retarded, but what do you mean by that?

-Eric