threat posture, or a legless story

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I tried to feed Peso tonight again, just to see if maybe he wasn't in pre-moult at all, but instead he just wasn't hungry a few nights back. well, he didn't eat again tonight, so now i'm even more confident that he is in pre-moult. when the cricket came near him/her though, he performed what seemed to be a threat posture. I assumed this was because he didn't feel like eating or killing, but he also didn't feel like being eaten. Is it normal for a s'ling to perform a threat posture at a feeder, or did i miscontstrue his behaviour?
On a side note, i removed the cricket, and in doing so, i accidently removed both of its 'jumping' legs. it then proceeded to pick up one of its legs and run off with it. it was then 'overpowered' by a larger cricket, who then ate the leg. very quickly, i might add. other crickets in there would try to approach the largest cricket with the new-found leg, and it would literally kick them, like a donkey or cow would do, using its back legs.
I don't know if anyone has seen this cricket behaviour, but i'm honestly not making this one up; i watched the whole ordeal. i took pity on the legless feeder, and flushed it.
I'm more concerned with Peso's behaviour, but I thought i'd toss in that side story.
Sorry for the long post,
Paul

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes, slings and larger Ts will all slap and otherwise threaten a cricket when they don't want to feed. While not for quite the same neurotic reasons as you ;), I also offered my older G. pulchra sling a cricket yesterday just in case, HA, that sling couldn't run away fast enough.

So, if you think you're having fun now, wait until you're week 9 or 10 of no feeding, no moulting, just hanging out watching the wall slowly darken, and occasionally moving from one side of the container to another :)

You really do need to get more Ts. Not only will you not be so fixated on Peso not eating/not moulting, you won't be wasting perfectly good food, you'll just toss it to someone who is interested in a perfectly nutritious cricket without drumsticks.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You may have interpreted your G. Pulchra sling's startled reaction as a threat posture. Mine's reaction to crickets in premolt included surprise, apathy, and wimpy withdrawal.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My spiderlings are killers. THey only stop eating for like two days before a moult.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
To stop your crickets from cannibalizing (if this even concerns you) throw half a peeled potato in there. It gives good nourishment, food and moisture for them and they pass on that to the spider. A healthy cricket means the best possible food for your spider. Also if you have it available, i throw in a little bit of gut-loading cricket feed thats loaded with nutrients. I keep em all in a small pet pal sort of deal.

Also I wouldn't get too worried about your spiders eating habits, they will probabaly only get wierder. As Jacen said, most spiderlings stop eating only a day or 2 before their molt providing they just are not hungry which can be possible too.

Mark

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

hmmm, yeah i would'nt worry about man, but, i do have to agree with code monkey you should get a few more, then you'll see perhaps that some t's act a lot differently, i do have some slings i'm giving deals on, pm me if ya like, man you need more t's,lol, not making fun just thinking about when i only had 1 t, but i went beyond what i was told and bought an adlt regalis female, but then again i used to aggressive pets and exotics----Jeff

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
As Jacen said, most spiderlings stop eating only a day or 2 before their molt providing they just are not hungry which can be possible too.
I've seen everything from slings and juveniles who eat on a Monday and moult Wednesday morning, to slings like my pulchra that is quite literally going on its third month without eating and is still as fat and alert as ever. Yes, that length is unusual, but a day or two? That is pretty uncommon as well. I suppose it might be more common if you keep your slings at elevated temps, but that would be quite the exception in my household where most of the slings fast at least one, if not two, weeks before a moult.

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey

You really do need to get more Ts. Not only will you not be so fixated on Peso not eating/not moulting, you won't be wasting perfectly good food, you'll just toss it to someone who is interested in a perfectly nutritious cricket without drumsticks.
Code Monkey, you hit the nail right on the head! I might add that by having more T's it enables them to have more peace and not bothered as much.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You really do need to get more Ts.
CM, I can't help but agree with you. I would really like to get more Ts, at least one more, but there are some problems with that:
1.I live in a university dorm, and no one knows that I am keeping Peso. Due to the general public's lack of education, the higher-ups around here would probably freak out and send the swat team into my room. Therefore, I don't want to draw too much attention to myself by keeping a small zoo in my room.
2.Though I stress that I find Chris Maidens' prices to be fair, I can't really afford another T. I'm a 'poor student' afterall.
3.I need to get more accustomed to keeping a T, wouldn't you agree? I get worried if Peso moves, or grooms his/herself, so maybe I need to get used to the process some more.
4.Biggest reason: My girlfriend is still getting used to Peso. She has to get a little more accustomed to Ts first.
But I appreciate your concern, and I agree, I need more. It's just not in the cards right now.

i do have some slings i'm giving deals on, pm me if ya like
X, I appreciate the offer, I really do, but the shipping from you to me would be so incredibly expensive, it's not even worth our time to consider.

To stop your crickets from cannibalizing (if this even concerns you) throw half a peeled potato in there.
Bjorgly, I had slices of fresh apple in the crickets enclosure when this drama happened. The crix were well fed, they're just...barbaric. I am, however, considering something with more nutrients.

Thanks everyone, but I think it has to remain myself and Peso for now. I sort of wish this wasn't the case, but i'll stick with Peso til the end, he/she being my first T, and all. We'll do okay. There'll be a moult eventually.
The Rookie

p.s. sorry that this post is so huge, and i apologize for grammatical errors, but it's early in the morning right now.

Last edited: