Thoughts on my Vietnamese Centipede enclosure?

Max Blankenbeker

Arachnopeon
My main concern is the water bottle I use for the water to reach the gravel, I can imagine her slipping in and not getting out. Any other tips y'all see that I could work on? I have pictures and am using a screen lid, which is another concern I have, not enough humidity with it completely open like that? What preferred lid do y'all recommend? I know clamps of some sort are a must. It's a 10 gallon tank btw.

Attachments

mellow

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't have added a drainage layer, because the centipede will probably just dig into it and mess it up, all the enclosure needs is substrate, a water dish, and maybe something to dig under, there are a lot of different types of lids that you could make, but I have not made a lid myself yet, so someone else will have to help you out with that. 😁

fiendish foe

Arachnopeon
Like another user said, I wouldn’t have bothered with a drainage layer since they’ll just dig down towards it. Another thing is you may want to look into getting screen lid clips to ensure there’s no escape. Before I moved my dehaani into a tub from their 10g I used to have this piece of plexiglass with holes drilled in it that’d rest on the plastic rim under the screen cover.

Last edited:

Max Blankenbeker

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't have added a drainage layer, because the centipede will probably just dig into it and mess it up, all the enclosure needs is substrate, a water dish, and maybe something to dig under, there are a lot of different types of lids that you could make, but I have not made a lid myself yet, so someone else will have to help you out with that. 😁
Do you think having a drainage layer could harm the centipede? I can just see it now getting stuck in the water bottle. But other than that does it matter how big of a water dish they prefer? Going to the store later today she/he arrives on Tuesday. Would springtails be beneficial as well? I'm thinking about using the ones that always end up in my T's water bowl when I check in the morning and dump it into the centipede substrate for a few days.

Max Blankenbeker

Arachnopeon
Like another user said, I wouldn’t have bothered with a drainage layer since they’ll just dig down towards it. Another thing is you may want to look into getting screen lid clips to ensure there’s no escape. Before I moved my dehaani into a tub from their 10g I used to have this piece of plexiglass with holes drilled in it that’d rest on the plastic rim under the screen cover.
I'm going to the store later mainly for the clips. If that guy on youtube who let's everything bite him fell to the ground from one of these bites, then I'm taking extreme precaution.

fiendish foe

Arachnopeon
I'm going to the store later mainly for the clips. If that guy on youtube who let's everything bite him fell to the ground from one of these bites, then I'm taking extreme precaution.
My favorite clips are the ones zilla makes for 20g tanks. They’re pretty strong.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
My main concern is the water bottle I use for the water to reach the gravel, I can imagine her slipping in and not getting out. Any other tips y'all see that I could work on? I have pictures and am using a screen lid, which is another concern I have, not enough humidity with it completely open like that? What preferred lid do y'all recommend? I know clamps of some sort are a must. It's a 10 gallon tank btw.
Centipedes can climb the silicone in the corners of aquariums. So a completely sealed lid is a must. Any crack, and it can escape. That's why so many folks use bins with sealed lids and make their own holes.

Grace18

Arachnopeon
I just got a Vietnamese Centipede too! Also, that log is the exact same one that I have as well. Mine is settled in nicely and likes to chill in the log and come out to drink in its water dish at night. I don't use a drainage layer. I use coconut husk for soil and I also try to maintain a nice, humid climate. I usually poor some water into the enclosure and mist it a couple times a day. During the night I put a sheet over the cage to trap any humidity then, during the day, I only cover half of the top of the tank. To maintain humidity, you should not get a heating mat or a heat lamp. (That's what the seller told me. He said just to douse any area of the enclosure with water and mist the area to maintain humidity because if you're not careful with heating mats, it could actually cook your specimen.)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
if centipedes CAN get out, centipedes WILL get out
and they can wedge themselves through some tight gaps

Max Blankenbeker

Arachnopeon
Centipedes can climb the silicone in the corners of aquariums. So a completely sealed lid is a must. Any crack, and it can escape. That's why so many folks use bins with sealed lids and make their own holes.
Do you know if they make a lid similar to that for glass terrariums? Do you think two clips on either side would be enough on the screen lid?

Max Blankenbeker

Arachnopeon
I just got a Vietnamese Centipede too! Also, that log is the exact same one that I have as well. Mine is settled in nicely and likes to chill in the log and come out to drink in its water dish at night. I don't use a drainage layer. I use coconut husk for soil and I also try to maintain a nice, humid climate. I usually poor some water into the enclosure and mist it a couple times a day. During the night I put a sheet over the cage to trap any humidity then, during the day, I only cover half of the top of the tank. To maintain humidity, you should not get a heating mat or a heat lamp. (That's what the seller told me. He said just to douse any area of the enclosure with water and mist the area to maintain humidity because if you're not careful with heating mats, it could actually cook your specimen.)
If I were to remove the water bottle, what can of sheet would I assure proper ventilation is still coming through?

Grace18

Arachnopeon
I think the centipede will be fine in regards to ventilation as long as you have a ventilated lid. It would be different if you didn't have a mesh lid. (Like if you had a tuber ware or tank with very few air holes) I simply use a thin sheet, like a pillow case, to cover the tank. During the night I cover it up but then during the day I keep it on half way or not at all (depending on how cold it is). I only plan on doing it because it's getting colder now that it's November but I don't plan on keeping the sheets on once it gets warm again. If you feel that its still warm where you live a sheet (and water bottle) is not required. A daily misting, access to a water bowl, and outpour of water in your tank for your centipede should do the trick. The most important thing to be aware of is that it doesn't get to cold in the tank or dry (Tropical centipedes, if in an arid environment, can get dehydrated quickly.)

Last edited:

fiendish foe

Arachnopeon
Do you know if they make a lid similar to that for glass terrariums? Do you think two clips on either side would be enough on the screen lid?
I kept a piece of plexiglass with holes drilled in it in the void between the liner ledge and screen cover. It helped keep humidity in and made escape impossible when used with clips. I wound up moving them to an 80qt sterilite gasket tub. That’s where they spent the last 2 years of their life.

ignithium

Arachnoknight
Centipede does not need ventilation at all, this cage looks very easy to escaping from. Best is to keeping in plastic tubs or tupperware, it will be buried 99% of time so not display terrarium animal anyway

Max Blankenbeker

Arachnopeon
Centipede does not need ventilation at all, this cage looks very easy to escaping from. Best is to keeping in plastic tubs or tupperware, it will be buried 99% of time so not display terrarium animal anyway
I placed clamps on both ends of the terrarium. I have her now and she's not even bothering climbing the walls in fact she's curled around a fake plant. Should I add more in case of escape or are two clamps enough?