This is not going to end well...

Sym

Arachnopeon
I bought a few roaches as a treat for my tarantulas a few days ago. My G. pulchripes munched them right up but my L. parahybana wanted nothing to do with them. I decided to give them to my G. rosea, which hasn't eaten in months, but this is where the story gets interesting.

I live in a suite at college and I was moving them in to a dresser drawer because we have a fire and safety inspection in an hour. (I'm allowed to have them, but I prefer to not make a scene about it and just hide them away when they do the inspections, as I had to fight to keep them last year). When I was moving a roach from one cage to the other, a roach hit the ground and disappeared. I have absolutely no idea where it went and I cannot locate it. It might have run under the door but I checked the hallway immediately after and it was not there (unless it had made it into someone else's room already). I put a towel under the door and looked around some more but I simply cannot find it. The hunt continues but we still have the inspection in a few minutes, and if they notice it when they are inspecting, it will not bode well for my ability to keep them in the future.

Obviously, this is completely and totally my fault but I can't help but be amazed at the timing of it all. I'll keep this thread updated, I think it's about time I inform everyone that there's a 3" cockroack roaming around freely... This is not going to end well.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It probably did the same thing I had happen... hit the floor and bolted for the edge between the carpet and wall and found a crevice. I wouldn't worry too much. Those inspections are not looking for loose bugs, they are looking for fire hazard type items, so unless your roach is a secret pyromaniac, I wouldn't worry too much yet. To catch the dude, I have heard of people laying duct tape out across doorways, sticky side up - I have never tried it though.

Good Luck!

Sym

Arachnopeon
It probably did the same thing I had happen... hit the floor and bolted for the edge between the carpet and wall and found a crevice. I wouldn't worry too much. Those inspections are not looking for loose bugs, they are looking for fire hazard type items, so unless your roach is a secret pyromaniac, I wouldn't worry too much yet. To catch the dude, I have heard of people laying duct tape out across doorways, sticky side up - I have never tried it though.

Good Luck!
I'm not so worried about them seeing it (our place is a mess and they're around campus anyways), but it's not fair for my suite mates to have to worry about creepy crawlers while they're sleeping. The duct tape on doorways seems like a really good idea, I'll do that tonight after everyone goes to sleep if I haven't found it yet.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are there any major differences between that species and what you normally have in your area? Just don't admit it's yours :)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those inspections are not looking for loose bugs, they are looking for fire hazard type items, so unless your roach is a secret pyromaniac, I wouldn't worry too much yet.
Lol reminds of the episode of Family Guy where the pub was burned down. Hope somebody gets my reference {D

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
2 adult dubias got loose the other day in my room ( male & female ) so I instantly freaked out because my room temp is perfect for them ( a good 85 at all times) Luckily, I found the male right away when I went to look at one of my T's, but the female not so lucky. I knew she was gravid too, sooo...I quickly covered up my T's, turned the AC on Full blast and went to bed. (they are tropical species, or so i've been told) And in the morning, First thing I do is turn on the light and BAM! it's right there in the middle of my floor{D Now, Coulda just been luck, and I dont see why it would be just out in the middle of the floor not hiding, but I was SOO happy that I found it.

Good luck!