This gave me a Sad on( yet another avic thread)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have a couple female Ts reaching adult hood and with them being arboreals I want to set them up in Exo-terra terrariums ( yea I know everyone hates them.. I love them for certain species so bugger off :punch:) Anyways I always look on craigslist for gently used terrariums of this style before I go and pay retail at a chain store..

I didn't find any Exo's listed but what I did find was a 20 long in decent shape for free, I have a terrestrial that needs rehousing so I figured why not it's free and close to my house.. Off I went!

When I pulled up to the house it was apparent they were moving as they were loading up a pick up truck out front and burning dressers chairs and some shelving units in the back yard...... I almost didn't stop the car... But my morbid curiosity got the better of me and I just had to see what in the hell was going on inside..

I didn't need to knock as the door was open and all of the windows appeared to be kicked out o_O... Surprisingly I was greeted by a nice young man close to my age with ten fresh stitches on his left foot up to his ankle.. He said he caught it on a piece of angle iron:angelic: ... So after avoiding any unnecessary conversation I asked where the tank was ....He said back room and ushered me into the house where I immediately noticed two more rather large men hanging out with a bottle of crown royal :) It was at this point that I covertly stuck my hand in my pocket and quietly flipped open my Kershaw pocket knife..

As I was walking through the kitchen to the backroom where the aquarium was being kept ( and where I presumed they were going to try to make my pretty :mooning: squeal like a pig) I noticed a large Exo-terra style enclosure with a teeny tiny Avic in it.. The enclosure as you will see is disgusting and infested with cockroaches which are only out numbered by free roaming crickets.

I didn't ask if it was for sale I just said how much for the Tarantula.. I didn't care what I would have to pay or possibly do to get that T out of that house it was coming home with me :mask:..

I was shocked when I heard his price.. He said free just take it because I can't take care of it any more( which I sincerely commend him for knowing that he is in over his head and had the heart to give up his "pet" so that it would have a better life ) So I walked out with a 20 long and what looks to be 18×12 Exo knock off and a A.avic who's future looked grim to say the least for free..

First pic is his old enclosure the second is one that I threw together with crap that I had on hand as it was late when I got home with him.. He will get an upgrade in a few days or maybe after his next molt.. The enclosure is functional it's just not pretty.. 20161116_001900.jpg 20161116_002550.jpg

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Heck yeah. That's one steal of a deal. Congrats.
Thanks man! I was just happy I got that T out of there..I don't know if you notice but his old enclosure has condensation on it.. It's not from wet sub.. In my area its like maybe 55F.. The house had no windows for who knows how long and as soon as I got it home where the temp is 74F it fogged up.. I know Ts can tolerate the cold but I don't know how much longer this little dude could of taken those temps..

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Wait so you got the nasty cage too? :anxious: What type of cockroaches were they and how'd you deal with that gross-ness?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks man! I was just happy I got that T out of there..I don't know if you notice but his old enclosure has condensation on it.. It's not from wet sub.. In my area its like maybe 55F.. The house had no windows for who knows how long and as soon as I got it home where the temp is 74F it fogged up.. I know Ts can tolerate the cold but I don't know how much longer this little dude could of taken those temps..
Of course that's the best part getting the T out of that setup and giving it a better life.
I am curious about the roaches, too. Are they your average "water bug" roaches? I see you said it's an exo knock off. What kind of enclosure is it? That skull is pretty cool. Lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Wait so you got the nasty cage too? :anxious: What type of cockroaches were they and how'd you deal with that gross-ness?
Yup package deal... I brought the enclosure into the house placed it on the chair scooped out the T real quick secured it in a deli cup brought the chair and enclosure out back where it will sit untill tomorrow when I can clean it out.. With bleach and fire...

I made sure no roaches ran out of the enclosure while I was pulling out the T.. My cat supervises all of my goings on so if a roach had managed to escape he would of chased it down... I also live in the south and being an arachnid lover won't kill any spiders in the house.. I see yellow sac spiders every where the occasional wolf spider sighting and widows tend to live under my kitchen and bathroom sink so roaches could never be a problem anyways.. Not to mention all the scorpions in the cabinets.. I feel bad for the skinny little buggers and often toss them a cricket or two :)..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I am curious about the roaches, too. Are they your average "water bug" roaches? I see you said it's an exo knock off. What kind of enclosure is it? That skull is pretty cool. Lol
Nope looked like Nazi roaches.. Nasty little MoFo's.. I think it's a zoo med.. It's outside infesting the neighborhood I can tell you the brand tomorrow..

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Yup package deal... I brought the enclosure into the house placed it on the chair scooped out the T real quick secured it in a deli cup brought the chair and enclosure out back where it will sit untill tomorrow when I can clean it out.. With bleach and fire...

I made sure no roaches ran out of the enclosure while I was pulling out the T.. My cat supervises all of my goings on so if a roach had managed to escape he would of chased it down... I also live in the south and being an arachnid lover won't kill any spiders in the house.. I see yellow sac spiders every where the occasional wolf spider sighting and widows tend to live under my kitchen and bathroom sink so roaches could never be a problem anyways.. Not to mention all the scorpions in the cabinets.. I feel bad for the skinny little buggers and often toss them a cricket or two :)..
That's good then, you're braver than I :rofl: Any true bug that isn't one of my feeders just gives me the creeps, still don't know why though. Even a house spider might make me jump if I wasn't expecting it. A few nights ago I literally flew/fell out of my bed because a dang house centipede was sitting on the wall next to me. I need to grow a backbone :rage:
My air conditioner doesn't completely fit in my window so there's an empty space where bugs can come and go. A grass spider used to live in that space, but never seemed to catch anything, at least, there were never any food boli in there. So ever few days I would give her a cricket and she would happily comply :D And when it got too cold outside for her liking I saw her in my bedroom looking for a new home, haven't seen her since though.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Excellent. I'm glad you made the T safe and that you managed to get out safe without going tribal on some folks :p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
He said back room and ushered me into the house where I immediately noticed two more rather large men hanging out with a bottle of crown royal :) It was at this point that I covertly stuck my hand in my pocket and quietly flipped open my Kershaw pocket knife..
Ah ah ah, true. You never know :-s

View attachment 224989

Christ, good work saving that poor 'avic'.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
It was at this point that I covertly stuck my hand in my pocket and quietly flipped open my Kershaw pocket knife..
When I read this I thought it was gonna be a I-killed-the-owners-to-get-their-neglected-t case.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
haha great story! i love exo tera as well, works great for all arboreals.
Yea I don't see the dogma , um I mean "problem" with them..;) the zoo med knock off kind of suck because they open from the right instead of the left but whatever it's a minor annoyance.. Lol