This a molt sign?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is my B emilia sling....Its not a clear picture but for those of you who can see it...is my emilia in a pre molt?..there is a lil blackness at the top of the abdomen... this a premolt sign???

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think at that size, probably not. Seeing darkness developing on the abdomen is only a sign of pre-molt in somewhat older Ts. The dark patch is the new exoskeleton developing underneath the current one. Your little guy is too young to have any color, so the new exoskeleton developing underneath wouldn't be black.

Did that dark bit just develop? If it's appeared suddenly, I could be wrong, but I've seen other young slings with the same dark bit on the abdomen. It just seems to be a stage of development, like the very first touch of color they get.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think at that size, probably not. Seeing darkness developing on the abdomen is only a sign of pre-molt in somewhat older Ts. The dark patch is the new exoskeleton developing underneath the current one. Your little guy is too young to have any color, so the new exoskeleton developing underneath wouldn't be black.

Did that dark bit just develop? If it's appeared suddenly, I could be wrong, but I've seen other young slings with the same dark bit on the abdomen. It just seems to be a stage of development, like the very first touch of color they get.
No I have had him i think for a week or so.... maybe a week and a half and he had that when i got him

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In that picture you can see the sling has kicked off all its hairs on its abdomen...... so keep offering little prey items...... when that abdomen turns black a molt is near or when prey is refused a molt is proberly near as well.

And with small slings you actually can see the new exoskeleton developing. You will see the sling get really dark with dark lines streaking up the legs, as well as the abdomen getting dark.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In that picture you can see the sling has kicked off all its hairs on its abdomen...... so keep offering little prey items...... when that abdomen turns black a molt is near or when prey is refused a molt is proberly near as well.

And with small slings you actually can see the new exoskeleton developing. You will see the sling get really dark with dark lines streaking up the legs, as well as the abdomen getting dark.
so basically put some small crickets in a blender? make em apple sauce like?

( brought a blender just to to spoil my crickets and give them like a plate full of blended up cricket lol...seriously)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think at that size, probably not. Seeing darkness developing on the abdomen is only a sign of pre-molt in somewhat older Ts.
At any size darkening of the abdomen means a molt is nearing. Sling,juvi, adult, the signs are pretty much the same.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dark, yes... just not black. That's what I trying to describe.

Diva Satanica

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering the same thing about my smithi sling.............I've had it for a few weeks now and the dark spot is pretty apparent but he/she is still eating like a champ, everytime I offer food...............

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The dark "spot" on small slings like that is actually their urticating hair patch

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They will get quite dark.... and the abdomen will get black.....
Here is a bad picture of one of my slings that is heavly in premolt..... she will molt in a day or so.

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well the picture features the sling to be a bright pink... I'd say it's in intermolt stage not premolt. If the pink starts to dull like turn a grayish pink, then it would be in pre-molt. All my slings have that black patch behind. like a drop of paint that dried up. I dont think its a premolt thingy...