Thinking on getting a scorpion

Jalen

Arachnopeon
I am new to this website and planning on getting a scorpion when repticon comes by, if I do end up getting one I want to know what's the best beginner species, I have only ever owned tailess whip scorps and crabs as inverts but not any true scorps. Recently, I heard emperors, the most popular scorpions were getting scarce and expensive due to their ban, what are some other beginner species that I could try and how to care for them.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am new to this website and planning on getting a scorpion when repticon comes by, if I do end up getting one I want to know what's the best beginner species, I have only ever owned tailess whip scorps and crabs as inverts but not any true scorps. Recently, I heard emperors, the most popular scorpions were getting scarce and expensive due to their ban, what are some other beginner species that I could try and how to care for them.
Heterometrus sp.
Hadrurus arizonensis

Those two are really good beginner scorpions.

Tar

Arachnosquire
Definitely get the heterometrus genus but if you want a little more hot scorpion try centruroides.

Last edited:

Stugy

Arachnolord
My first scorpion was a Heterometrus petersii from PetSmart :) She is a really nice looking scorpion but she is like every other Heterometrus as in being overly defensive. I would go for an Emperor scorpion (Pandinus imperator) as a first scorpion if you have the money for it. At the same time most desert scorpions imo are really easy to care for because they get their water from their food so you don't have to mist them or give them humidity all the time. Scorpions are my favorite arachnid though I have never gotten a successful feeding with any of my scorpions yet. Well visually. My Heterometrus likes to eat when I'm not looking so she's the only one I know is eating out of my 2 scorpions. I hope you choose the right scorpion! Good luck! :)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Agree with shining on Heterometrus sp., most are defensive though. Had 2 of my cavimanus molt last night and were very feisty, to say the least. Lol!
I started with C. gracilis, Florida sp., as scorplings and now as adults, seem docile. They aren't a large species, if that's what your looking for, but easy to keep.
Heterometrus, Hadogenes and Pandinus sp. are of the large variety. Only dwarf species I have are L. australasiae, parthenogenic, 1" as adults.
Yes, as soon as exporting P. imperator was banned the price hit the roof. With so many species available, these aren't on my list to acquire.
Whatever species you get, best wishes and keep us posted.
Welcome to the "dark side". :)