Thinking Of Getting An "Old World" Tarantula.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S...after Izan posts and some suggestions on this thread I would pick a tarantula from 1 of the following families:

1) Ephebopus most likely Murinus
2) Poecilotheria most likely Metallica
3) Psalmopoeus most likely Irminia

I am still reading the responses and getting some good feedback.
Lennie, I've had and handled all these species before, and I would say P. irminia is the one you have to watch out for the most. They are very fast and very willing to bite. Psalmopoeus also has pretty strong venom for a NW T. E. murinus can be sort of a pet hole unless you have a nice visible setup for it since it's an obligate burrower. P. metallica is quite docile for a pokie, but will run you a few hundred bucks if you're willing to get one. I currently have a Poecilotheria miranda, which is also a docile pokie. I've handled all the pokies I've had in the past, and in my experience, they are generally nervous and prefer to run around and hide rather than bite.

BTW, Ephebopus and Psalmopoeus are NW.

Here are my E. murinus (sold already) and P. miranda:

Just for the measure, here's the H. fulvipes you're going to be receiving:

Last edited:

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Quixtar...I am definitely looking forward to getting that scorpion. If I decide to go with tarantulas with more potent venom those are the two that you are holding I want. I am curious why "pokies" get this bad rep of being tarantulas on the hunt ta bite ya'? I know that they can and will bite if mishandled or don't want to be messed with!

izan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Lennie,

P. irminia would also be a good choice, though they are NW.

A very striking looking T and unless in pre molt, do venture out 'reasonably' often.

Its a pity you dont live closer. As i currently have a very nice sub adult female P. irminia and also a large adult female P. metallica for sale.

In the meantime, heres one of my Sun Tigers. I hope it helps you make your choice.

izan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Plus. Here is a little snippet of video, showing my 'better half' handling the smaller irminia.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Izan...I have found REASONABLE prices on the Skeleton & Suntiger Tarantulas. The "pokie" that I want is a little pricey for an adult female which all the tarantulas I own and would buy are and will be. The feedback that I am getting is that the suntiger is the one that is more prone to bite out of the three I want.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am set on getting FEMALE Skeleton and Suntiger Tarantulas because of the prices BUT I DO NOT plan on handling them like I do my current ones. I am discourage by the price of the "pokies".

izan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am set on getting FEMALE Skeleton and Suntiger Tarantulas because of the prices BUT I DO NOT plan on handling them like I do my current ones. I am discourage by the price of the "pokies".
Nice one. ;) A complete change of mind from your original mention of handling OW's then ? ?

The P. metallica prices are still very high, even though every year people predict that they will fall.

Only last week a AF metallica sold here for £450 (£863) :eek: And that was to a very knowledgable breeder.

Good Luck with whatever you get.

iZAN