Thinking of getting a GBB...?

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I want another T next week. Can everyone tell me a lil about the GBB, and how to care for them and their temperments? Thank you all...

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I think that's one of the few T's that will aways get mentioned in the "what kind of T should I get next" threads, right alongside the genic. :) *Hint-hint*

(No I'm not saying it! :D )

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do it, you won't be sorry. Care is easy, they like it bone dry, feed once a week, offer water dish and hide. They are really good eaters, and extremely enthusiastic webbers. Temperment is fast, skittish and nervous, but not nasty. Some can have a bit of an attitude and will kick, but they aren't defensive. They are really quite beautiful as adults and are very interesting to watch while hunting crickets and roaches.
Not a T I would willingly be without.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One of my favorite species. They are a tad skittish and will run rather than show a threat display. With their water I would offer a water dish once a week for about a day, otherwise it will end up covered in webbing. They get their moisture from their prey items so just make sure those are well hydrated before you feed.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A GBB was my first. It has jaded me for all other T's. I've bought many since, but nothing equals its beauty and elegance, unhampered by sentiment.

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
2.5 cents worth

I saw one in the local pet shop. It produced a massive amount of web. I mean the entire cage was filled with web tunnels.

Very neet looking.

BinarySpider2

tarangela2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just got a GBB sling about two weeks ago and the critter has stopped webbing. ;P

thanks for the advice about bone dry and taking out the water dish.
good to know.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i just got a GBB sling about two weeks ago and the critter has stopped webbing. ;P

thanks for the advice about bone dry and taking out the water dish.
good to know.

I always keep a water dish in. I find right after a moult my GBB can drink her dish dry in a day. I'd much rather she has it and didn't need it then need it and not have it.

You may want to reconsider. What's the harm in having one ? There is only harm in not...

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always keep a water dish in. I find right after a moult my GBB can drink her dish dry in a day. I'd much rather she has it and didn't need it then need it and not have it.

You may want to reconsider. What's the harm in having one ? There is only harm in not...
Actually there is harm in having too much humidity with this species. It can cause major problems, high humidity has even caused deaths in adults. Spiderlings are more tollerant and can take some humidity. I have raised this species from hatchling to adult with no water dish. Their natural habitat in Venezuela boasts a whopping 29% humidity and that is a bit less than what you normally find in most people's homes. If you throw in a water dish it raises the humidity level. I was asked to write a care sheet for the American Tarantula Society and I can email anyone a PDF of that sheet if you want. It explains their care more in detail.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd get the GBB if I were you. You won't be disappointed. They are fairly easy to take care of, just give them a cage and some decor to web on, with a waterdish in one of the corners and your good to go. One thing to be careful with though, as slings, they need it to be slightly humid so mist them once every 1.5 weeks, and as adults, no misting at all. Humidity can kill a sub-adult GBB. Keep the waterdish though, I saw mine drinking from it today, so obviously they'll need it.

Last edited:

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well as you can see from the numerous conditions that they have been kept(by people who obviously have never been to their native habitat), they are a very adaptable species. You will not be sorry for getting one...or 2. {D

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
there was a thread asking this exact same thing not too long ago...look back a few pages and just browse the thread titles. THis has been covered many multiples of times and pretty recently at that :) It'll take you a minute or three to look back over 5-8 pages of titles but it saves bandwidth which I'm sure the admin will appreciate. ;)

here's one on the second page of results after doing an "advanced" search of the T Q&A forum for the keyword "GBB" (hint: if you want to search using more than one keyword, the search engine uses Boolean operators such as "AND" and "OR" or "NOT", use them correctly to narrow down your search results :)):

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=89750&highlight=GBB

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you want one go for it one day i hope to get one and in all the books i have they are one of the easier - t- to keep just my opinion if that helps any way good luck ^^^^ phil

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you everyone....I will prolly get one since I cant get a G. pulchra, lol...
I think they are kinda pretty and i like the webbing, even though that might prey cleanup difficult...

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I recommend getting a little one if you can. These guys have great colours as slings and as adults and it is fun to watch them change. They are reasonably quick growers as well so you won't be stuck with a 1" midget for years like some Brachys :D I got my guy at 0.75". He's now 2", great colours, great webbing, great feeder, and attitude! Definitely a T I would always want in my collection :)

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm.. just be aware that they can more or less teleport - they can be that fast. :)

amelie

Arachnopeon
my first T was a GBB then i got 3 usambaras, versicolor, and a pokie regalis.
and by far my favorite is my GBB. they are simply aswsome, i actually want to get some more.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you everyone....I will prolly get one since I cant get a G. pulchra, lol...
I think they are kinda pretty and i like the webbing, even though that might prey cleanup difficult...
Either the GBB or the G.pulchra would be fine, but I would go with the GBB, very interesting T. It won't disappoint you at all.

Let's hope your GBB, if you get it, does what mine does, put all its prey remains in it's waterdish.

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just got one myself, and I love it already. I had heard stories about how voracious they were but didn't really believe until I saw it myself. Can't wait to get more!