Thinking of getting a centipede

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I find these guys very interesting and scary as hell... so I've decided to get 1 maybe 2 of them. I just had a quick question about cage size. I want an enclosure that is fairly escape proof, my wife wouldn't tolerate an escape too well. I was looking at www.glasscages.com at the 30 Gal. Tall (24 x 12½ x 25). Could I fit 2 pedes in there with a divider? It seems tall enough, is a locking screen lid what I want for a lid? Anyone have any advice? I'd like to be able to see my pede when he is up and about, not through a plastic tub.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well I find these guys very interesting and scary as hell... so I've decided to get 1 maybe 2 of them. I just had a quick question about cage size. I want an enclosure that is fairly escape proof, my wife wouldn't tolerate an escape too well. I was looking at www.glasscages.com at the 30 Gal. Tall (24 x 12½ x 25). Could I fit 2 pedes in there with a divider? It seems tall enough, is a locking screen lid what I want for a lid? Anyone have any advice? I'd like to be able to see my pede when he is up and about, not through a plastic tub.
I have my roughly 7-8" S. h. arizonensias in a 5 gallon tank with a locking lid and I've yet to have an escape (duct tape blocking any sort of holes, but he rarely goes up there).

Do NOT use a cage divider. Ever.

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you think they could get into the other side of the enclosure in a 24 x 12½ x 25?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes. Centipedes are notorious escape artists. If there's a way to get through, it will.

BPruett

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also use the 5gal tanks with locking lids and they work great...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if escape proof is your highest requirement then you should go with a larger plastic jug with lots of tiny airholes in the lid. there is no reasonable way for a centipede to escape that. and i mean that in a literal sense, not like some feeble mind with a poor grasp of english ;)

also, i am quite certain i could build a divided cage that would work fine... but i have read so many posts of a divided cage failing somehow that i tell everyone don't bother. if all your friends regard you as a clever dude than by all means try one out. i would suggest posting very detailed plans before and pics after you build it, but before you populate it for like, general review, though.

realistically, large cages are essentially wasted on centipedes... they are very much more for the aesthetic satisfaction of the owner and not of perceptible healthful or reproductive benefit to the centipede.