Thinking about some new scorps. any suggestions

basement pets

Arachnosquire
so, I already have 2 scorpions a H. Arizonensis and a emperor scorpion. I am thinking about getting a b. jacksoni. I also like the tityus stigmurus but I know that those have pretty strong venom. I also like the idea of a scorpion communal and I thought that a centruroides vittatus communal could be really cool.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Try O. glabifrons! Very cool coloration, pretty much a pet hole, but their burrows are so extensive you can see them from the sides of the enclosure, and mine’s out and about quite frequently. @basin79 has some really excellent posts regarding the species.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Try O. glabifrons! Very cool coloration, pretty much a pet hole, but their burrows are so extensive you can see them from the sides of the enclosure, and mines out and about quite frequently. @basin79 has some really excellent posts regarding the species.
My lass has currently filled in her burrow and is out on the surface. I've gone from not seeing her for months and months to this. Beautiful scorpions but aye, 99.9% of the time you're looking at substrate.

Abu Bakr

Arachnopeon
I would suggest Tityus Stigmurus, they are communal, fast growing and parthenogenetic.
They might have a strong venom but you will only get stung if you try to put your hands inside the enclosure near it.

basement pets

Arachnosquire
I would suggest Tityus Stigmurus, they are communal, fast growing and parthenogenetic.
They might have a strong venom but you will only get stung if you try to put your hands inside the enclosure near it.
I am practicing caution for more venomous species with the 2 scorpions I have now by only using tongs to feed and do maintenance.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Just curious, do you actually have a source for b. jacksoni or is this just one that you'd like to get if you had the opportunity?

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try centruroides gracilis! Very nice beginner buthid! They're on the lower side of venom as far as buthids go. They come in a variety of colors. Do great communally as adults. They are a bit cannibalistic as juveniles though. I advise keeping young separate. Gracilis breeds readily as well.

Blackwind

Arachnopeon
Another I'd recommend if you'd like a more tropical "arboreal" scorpion yet not as venomous would be the Centruroides gracilis, or also a Reddyanus loebli, although they Reddyanus is relatively small.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Another I'd recommend if you'd like a more tropical "arboreal" scorpion yet not as venomous would be the Centruroides gracilis, or also a Reddyanus loebli, although they Reddyanus is relatively small.
Reddyanus loebli is impossible to find in the US for the most part, to the point where I hadn't even heard of the species before now.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Blackwind

Arachnopeon
Reddyanus loebli is impossible to find in the US for the most part, to the point where I hadn't even heard of the species before now.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
No problem, I believe Isometrus garyi became synonymous with it if that helps at all. They are pretty neat little scorpions. This guy is a recent acquisition so still only about 1/4"
IMGP2877edit3.png

basement pets

Arachnosquire
b. jacksoni
centruroides vittatus
Hadogenes troglodytes
centruroides gracilis
Scorpio maurus
O. glabifrons

these are all the scorps that I am now interested in picking up. I decided to not get a T. stigmurus because it may be a little too venomous.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
b. jacksoni
Unavailable in the US for a couple years. I bought the last one Pinchers and Pokies had (a adult female) last year which they only sold because they couldn't fine a mate for it. It unfortunately died this year (aged out, I assume).

also, are Liocheles australasiae a good intermediate species?
Yes. Pretty easy to care for, not defensive, not much of a sting (or stinger, for that matter) to worry about. I actually have Liocheles waigiensis but I doubt if there is much difference between the two.

basement pets

Arachnosquire
what about Pseudouroctonus reddelli? are they an ok beginner species? what about Paravaejovis spinigerus, Paravaejovis confuses or Diplocentrus whitei?

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
what about Pseudouroctonus reddelli?
Not a bad species to keep. Because they're subterranean in the wild you won't see too much of them, also they should also be kept a little more humid than you would think for a species from Texas. I keep the plastic tub I have them in about 1/2 moist / 1/2 dry. And since they're wild caught you might end up with babies whether you want them or not. I have a bunch of babies from 5 females I got as part of a colony I bought. The babies spend all their time in the moist section hunting springtails.