Thinking about getting into scorpions

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As for the humidity.. I thought at first to keep them really damp.. Which kept the humidity rather high & I saw a sign of mycosis (I think it was mycosis..) on a few of the scorps.. I then let it dry out.. The dark spot where the mycosis was spotted never went away.. (I dont think it ever does..) But no other health issues from the way I was keeping them after that.. :)
That's interesting to me. I believe you 100%, but it is a little surprising considering some of their habitats. Maybe with it has something to do with air flow? I've yet to see or hear about any problems until now, but I will pay more attention to this in the future. Thanks for the info. :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's interesting to me. I believe you 100%, but it is a little surprising considering some of their habitats. Maybe with it has something to do with air flow? I've yet to see or hear about any problems until now, but I will pay more attention to this in the future. Thanks for the info. :)
I had them in one of those 5 gallon octagon fish tanks.. (I think it was 5 gallons..) It had the regular hood with the light on top of it.. So.. The air flow might have been the cause of it..

When I say keep them bone dry.. I say that because of where I find the scorpions I had.. I normally found them in man made piles.. (Tin, Gutters, Wood, Ect.. Ect..) Though I did find a several in dead tree trunks.. The tree trunks were very rotten & dry.. I only found a few that were in the shaded area.. Most were out where the sun was beating down on them.. Like the hotest spot..

So after seeing what I thought was mycosis.. I thought.. House them like I find them.. Dry..

The ones I had were not the xceric.. If IIRC they xceric are the pale-ish color ones.. Right? The ones I were the orange-ish ones..

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Redneck! Good to see you on this side of the boards! :)

Centruroides vittatus is a great starter scorpion, you hit the nail on the head there. However, due to my experience both captive and wild with these, I wanted to clarify a few things.

C. vittatus adults will cannibalize. I have not seen it in my well fed captive tanks, but I have seen it in situ many times. I would recommend keeping your adults well fed to avoid this.

Humidity is not a big concern with C. vittatus. There are many morphs of C. vittatus. Their habitat extends from completely xeric deserts to very humid
swamps.

I keep my C. vittatus with a varied humidity. I will mist entire terrarium, soaking the substrate thoroughly, then let it all dry out. This is not unusual in their natural habitat, and has worked well for me.

Main thing with C. vittatus is this: They can live just about anywhere. Keep temps and humidity reasonable, and you shouldn't have any problems.
They are very hardy.

*FOR OP
The V. waueri are a great small scorpion. They are not commonly found, but you have a connection now from earlier post. They are more than tolerant of humans, they almost seem to enjoy a walk on your arm! They are beautiful and a lot of fun. Another closely related species that I haven't seen available recently is V. coahuilae. They are around the same size as the V. waueri, and even share the same habitats!

Enjoy your foray. Scorpions Rule! :p
I agree with Redneck here they are awesome.I had them in communal set up with no cannibalism,just make sure the are well feed:D