Think this is de haani?

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Doesn't look like one to me, but I could be wrong. Use the search function in the forum for de haani, because Gary (atrax) has posted pics of his devouring a lizard.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Quite possible actually. The leg and head coloring actually look closer to Dehaani than a Malaysian or Viet. The exact coloration will vary from specimen to specimen, but like I mentioned, it seems closer to Dehaani coloring than anything else. Where's you get it and what did it arrive labeled as?

Atrax

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hmm, it came labeled as a Malaysian Cherry Red, so I called my distributor and am having more sent out... They separated these from the others (quite a bit different looking than the Malaysians). So I'll be offering them as a different centipede.

FWIW, I'm encountering some fairly striking variance among the Vanuatus (or 'Solomon Island') as well.

bill

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
S. subspinipes dehaani

Looks exactly like the specimen I kept a while ago, which was Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani.

Alex S.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It very much looks like a Dehaani, not sure what Albino is basing his guess on tough

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
C'mon now guys, take it easy...I don't think anyone's opinion here is 100% iron clad. I make bad calls on other people's "What T is this?" threads all the time and I'm definitely not an expert on Centipedes.
Let's all be cool here, ok?

Atrax :)

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I in no way tried to be rude. Hey Gary I think the apple color legs really give it away dont you?

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well I ate it, so you guys can guess all you want and we'll never know. Tasted a little apple-like, actually.

Just kidding (don't want to start another 'I killed my bug' thread!). Seriously, I can take more pics and post them if you guys want - and I have more coming next week and can photo them too. The only thing I'm not willing to do is let it bite me to test the venom strength! ;)

bill

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by invertepet
The only thing I'm not willing to do is let it bite me to test the venom strength! ;)

bill
Awww....C'mon Bill, I thought you were in it for the hobby??? ;P

Scott

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
Well I ate it, so you guys can guess all you want and we'll never know. Tasted a little apple-like, actually.

Just kidding (don't want to start another 'I killed my bug' thread!). Seriously, I can take more pics and post them if you guys want - and I have more coming next week and can photo them too. The only thing I'm not willing to do is let it bite me to test the venom strength! ;)

bill
Bill, what is the size on those?
BTW, Mike picked up your GBB and the p. ornata today. methinks you will be very pleased with both of them.
Ed

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This one is about 6"... I suspect the rest of the stock will be around the same, maybe a bit bigger. My understanding is de haani gets fairly big, around 12".

bill

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Identifying Scolopendra is a pain the butt!!!! argh there are some others that say the Chinese giant orange variant is de haani, then theres this apple leg color one. AHHHHHHHh why cant they talk and say Im so and so.

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Carl Sandefer could shed some light on it I bet. I have contact info for him, I just gotta find it.

Atrax