Think I lost one, ugh

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got my 8 new slings (2 each: P. irminia, H. maculata, Avic. versicolor, & C. fimbriatus) on Wed. I fed everyone for the first time on Sat. Today I went to remove their leftovers & water everyone.

Guess what was on it's back in a death curl?

:rolleyes: An Avic. versicolor.

I am not a believer in the sudden avic death thingy, but I guess it got me anyways. I've had other kinds of avic slings without issues & have never lost a sling of any kind. It was clinging just fine Sat, webbing, ready to eat. No premolt behavior, so when I found it at 12pm today, I tossed a moisten piece of paper towel in there in hopes it was just molting. Came home to check on it on my lunch break & it hasn't moved :( Haven't tossed it yet, but I have a feeling it's done for. Figure a just under 1" sling would have molted by now.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
id say she is molting, i just had this same problem with an adult h.minax who got stuck in her molt, she was on her back and unable to upright herself so i helped but she died.
i waited 12ish hours from when i saw her on her back to deciding it wasnt right and she was stuck, then i left her alone in an icu tub in the dark and waited about 5 more hours.. she died.

what im saying is just giver her abit more time.
hope she dosnt die.

Sadistic Haplo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never seen a T on it's back in a death curl. Sounds like it's molting. Leave it alone

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure this wasn't a molt. The legs were tucked up tight against the body. We'll see when I go home at lunchtime today. It still hadn't molted as of 10pm last night nor had anything changed, so that was 10hrs from when I found it.

And I haven't messed with it since I found it and put the piece of paper towel in to boost the humidity.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The "curl" is caused by a loss of fluid pressure in the body of the tarantula. If it does this during a molt I'd suspect that there was some difficulty in molting that caused an injury that bled. Still, it doesn't hurt to wait a bit longer before giving up.

Last edited:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh yeah. I mean, I saw it last night at 10pm and won't see it again until 2pm or 3pm today, so I really won't have a chance to think about tossing it until over 24hrs.

When I found it, it was just one of those gut feelings that this wasn't right.

Although i'd love it to prove me wrong :)

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
when a tarantula dies why would it flip on its back? they would not have the energy to do so. leave it alone, don't touch it, breath on it and what ever you do don't throw it out!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
when a tarantula dies why would it flip on its back? they would not have the energy to do so. leave it alone, don't touch it, breath on it and what ever you do don't throw it out!
I hate it when people have poor reading comprehension.

It's an avic, it could have fallen. Maybe it died while trying to molt.

As stated, I have't done anything more then look at it a few times (which I an easily do without breathing on it or touching it.) other then when I initially found it yesterday at 12pm. All I did then was put a damp piece of paper towel next to it to increase humidity.

As of 230 pm today, 26.5hrs after I found it yesterday, it's still in the same spot.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Avics rule! sorry for your loss.I've had some long slow molt's but never anywhere near this long I had hope for your little guy but........:(

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
I hate it when people have poor reading comprehension.

It's an avic, it could have fallen. Maybe it died while trying to molt.

As stated, I have't done anything more then look at it a few times (which I an easily do without breathing on it or touching it.) other then when I initially found it yesterday at 12pm. All I did then was put a damp piece of paper towel next to it to increase humidity.

As of 230 pm today, 26.5hrs after I found it yesterday, it's still in the same spot.
yea i know i was in a bad mood and just said wow... and commented but still leave it for atleast 48 hours the is it starts to smell remove the sling