Think I figured it out...

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I gathered Bayushi (My P.Imperator) into a clear plastic container today, sat down under a good light, and tried to grab a picture or two of the pectines, to see if I could determine the sex. Turns out my camera doesn't want to focus at that range, even with the macro setting. :(

However, I was able to get a good clear, long look at the pectines, and it appears as if my 'he' is actually a 'she'. The pectines were small, and the teeth were straighter, smaller and closer together.

I'm going to see if I can get a good picture ASAP, and post it up here so I can get a 100% confirmation on it's sex.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if you can try to get a count. See how many pectines you count I usually use a magnifying glass.

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if you can try to get a count. See how many pectines you count I usually use a magnifying glass.
Without digging around for a mag glass, my count from earlier was ~19-20 on each side. But that could be WAY off, since it was hard to keep the little critter still in the plastic container. I'll grab a mag glass once I'm done eating and take a gander.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
make sure camera is in macro mode, and the flash is on. its waaaay easier to count from a picture than it is while your holding it.

a tooth count shouldnt really be necessary for sexing an imp, once you know what to look for. even a blurry pic and im sure some people on here could sex it for you.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Male operculum

Female operculum

I use the operculum to sex mine. when I'm buying new scorps, I take a magnified shaving a mirror along to view underneath of the scorp in a clear tub. I've found this to be a good method as it also reflects light onto the scoprs pectines. The male has an oval(ish) opperculum, the female has a sort of heart shaped operculum.

Hope this helps

Damo

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that really helps alot now as i couldn't tell by those fan things, now will have to relook.

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Even on macro mode, and flash on or off, the camera just won't take a picture that you can even make out the pectines. It just wants to be difficult.

I was busy most of this afternoon so I haven't had a chance to take another look. Will update once I get a chance to do so.

I'm still going with female, atm. After comparing to pictures in the sexing thread, the pectines look much more like a female, but I wanna be 100% sure, and 100% sure I know how to properly sex (or a method to do so), so that when I get more, I know what I'm looking for.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you have a third arm handy (or, failing that, a friend) try pointing a flashlight at the subject while taking a picture. Unless lighting is ideal, my camera absolutely refuses to cooperate, and spotlighting seems to fool it.

That's how I got those emperor pictures that you saw in the sexing thread -- and believe me, it wasn't easy with two arms and no willing accomplices! :rolleyes: