Thick, maybe premolt soon?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seems like premolt maybe she has huge butt and suddenly lost her hairs. Also, no eating (she only eats once every week but food is almost as big as it, prekilled so don’t worry). Those are the only signs. She also let me open up her vial without running into her hide which is pretty cool. Also, do ya'll think $150 is a good price for a breeding pair of M. Balfouri? View attachment 383867
Seems? Once again your questions make me cringe.

Don’t breed anything.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
It's a natural process that insures your female is well-fed prior to starting a sack. Some species even consistently do it.

Not as bad of a thing as it seems.
I disagree, it may be natural, be shouldn't normalize it in the hobby. We have to start valuing our males more highly! The US/Canada will be in sorry shape if we don't buckle down and establish captive breeding efforts. One male can mate multiple females and help produce thousands of slings, if only the breeder pays attention and keeps him safe.

Surely in nature it gives the female the energy to create a sac, but in captivity we can simply offer them feeders instead. And a roach doesn't take 5 years to mature into an adult!

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I disagree, it may be natural, be shouldn't normalize it in the hobby. We have to start valuing our males more highly! The US/Canada will be in sorry shape if we don't buckle down and establish captive breeding efforts. One male can mate multiple females and help produce thousands of slings, if only the breeder pays attention and keeps him safe.

Surely in nature it gives the female the energy to create a sac, but in captivity we can simply offer them feeders instead. And a roach doesn't take 5 years to mature into an adult!
I agree. If it’s preventable, which I realize sometimes it isn’t and it happens, we should do what we can to stop it.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I agree. If it’s preventable, which I realize sometimes it isn’t and it happens, we should do what we can to stop it.
Definitely! There's times when there's nothing anyone can do, but if all that's needed to give us another shot at 300-500 new babies is a well placed straw, I consider that part of the basic responsibilities of breeding

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
<edit> did you not hear when I said guys I won't even think about breeding for another few years?

Last edited:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince

It's not always preventable.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
To answer your question on pre-molt, it probably is. Who knows? Only time will tell in that case.

As for $150 for a breeding pair it will depend on how large are the specimens. So I would like to know how large these pairs are.

I think thats actually super cheap, males cost 120 on some sites
A very horrible price. Hobbyists are not breeders/sellers which is why they don't understand the market as well. I would not recommend buying a male for that price.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
To answer your question on pre-molt, it probably is. Who knows? Only time will tell in that case.

As for $150 for a breeding pair it will depend on how large are the specimens. So I would like to know how large these pairs are.

A very horrible price. Hobbyists are not breeders/sellers which is why they don't understand the market as well. I would not recommend buying a male for that price.
i don't plan on getting them, id probably just get a small communal or smthing when i get the money so like in a few months lol, im broke

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Oh, for sure! But I don't think we should write it off as expected or necessary
If you don't think it's expected in some species you're ignorant to their mating behaviors. A fair bit of the Asian fossiorial sp have females that are 2x-3x bigger than the males. The males have to go completely under the females, there's no safe way for a keeper to intervene.