They grow up so fast

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
This might get moved to the watering hole, I'm not sure.
Which Tarantula, in your opinion, grows the fastest. Which grows the slowest? This was inspired by the recent debate over the Blondi vs. L.Parahybana, and my own curiousity.
Paul

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I figure Blondi is the fastest... the slowest is probably G. Rosea

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, this isn't getting much attention. I guess growth rate isn't quite as interessting as I thought :8o :(

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
Wow, this isn't getting much attention. I guess growth rate isn't quite as interessting as I thought :8o :(

I would also like to know if there's a relationship between spiderling molting intervals and growth rate. The same can be asked of sex.

My G. Pulchra sling is in pre-molt again, laying thin webbing down, taking on a dull hue, and it hasn't eaten in 4 days. I got it September 12, and it molted October 19. I figure It should molt in about a week or so. I wonder if such short intervals in a "slow growing" species indicate that it's a male.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's kind of a difficult question considering all the variables involved. Also, I would have to know whether you meant actual size or time to maturity. I've had some Theraphosas and Pamphobeteus get quite a bit of size in a short period of time. Conversely, I've seen other smaller growing genera reach maturity quicker than the former two.

G. rosea has been consistently the slowest growing species that I have worked with. Which is puzzling considering how many are exported every year.:?

I have also had individuals of the same species and gender that had significantly different rates of growth, even while being kept under similar conditions.

Last edited:

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good one JP

It's kind of a difficult question considering all the variables involved. Also, I would have to know whether you meant actual size or time to maturity. I've had some Theraphosas and Pamphobeteus get quite a bit of size in a short period of time. Conversely, I've seen other smaller growing genera reach maturity quicker than the former two.
Good point, JP. Maybe no one's responding because the reasons and answers would vary so much. I meant actual size, I guess, even though I didn't really think about it before I posted. We could just all ignore this one, I guess. We all know the factors that define a moult.

Hey Tranz,
I never thought of your 'fast moult, maybe male' theory. I got Peso (thanks FedEx) on Sept. 26, and he/she didn't moult until the night of November 5. Who knows, I guess. He may moult sooner this time round because i've been feeding more frequently.
Paul

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would also give my vote for slowest growth to the Rosehairs. In the nearly three years that I have had Arachne the G Rosea she has only mouled one time.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Good one JP

Hey Tranz,
I never thought of your 'fast moult, maybe male' theory. I got Peso (thanks FedEx) on Sept. 26, and he/she didn't moult until the night of November 5. Who knows, I guess. He may moult sooner this time round because i've been feeding more frequently.
Paul
5 weeks between sling molts is pretty fast. G. Pulchra's are supposed to be slow growing. I just wonder if anyone has had a female G. Pulchra that took 5 weeks between molts.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had some A. chalcodes slings for 6 months without a molt. They came out of the females burrow when I flooded her out, so I'm thinking they were in their 1st instar, maybe 2nd. Anyway I guess thats why they can live up to 40 years. They just dont molt as often as most.

Its been this size for 6 mos.:?

Ernie

Attachments

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: Good one JP

Originally posted by Tranz
5 weeks between sling molts is pretty fast. G. Pulchra's are supposed to be slow growing. I just wonder if anyone has had a female G. Pulchra that took 5 weeks between molts.
I personally have had G. pulchra males molt at about that rate when they were spiderlings. The one female that I raised from a spiderling ( my other females were larger at time of purchase) did take longer in between molts. I wouldn't read too much in to that though. You could be feeding yours more, or the temp. it's kept at may be higher. There may even be other factors involved that affect their growth that we are unaware of.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by MrT
A. chalcodes ...... Anyway I guess thats why they can live up to 40 years.
Are you serious?? I thought smithi's were the longest-lived at around 25 years?

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know Stan Shultz has red knees that are a lot older than 25 years... I heard they were pushing 40 but I can't say for sure you would have to ask him (I know he still has some original WC specimens from before the Mexico border closing)

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know Stan Shultz has red knees that are a lot older than 25 years... I heard they were pushing 40 but I can't say for sure you would have to ask him (I know he still has some original WC specimens from before the Mexico border closing)
Wow,
Now that's a lot of crickets and mice. What's the explanation behind such a long-living T, aside from being female, obviously. Can you just say 'that's one of the lucky ones'? i suppose when you look at it, some dogs die at 10, and some die at 18 years...I don't even know what i'm talking about anymore.
Any pictures of this ancient T, by any chance?
Paul