They are slowly taking over my life

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I bought one for myself a week or so ago along with one for my gf and a freebie, all slings. I plan on many more. It's the ease of care, the alien aspect of their nature, the adrenaline of the rehousing/unpacking, the violence of the feeding, the intricate web displays and colors. It all amounts to the perfect display/pet/collectors item and so forth. For me personally, there are turn offs to owning any other type of pet. Whether it be care needs or hygiene, smell, ect ect.

All I need is a dog or two, a cat and a bunch of Ts!

Ts are so easy in comparison to anything else and they just make great subjects of interest.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So, does anyone have theories as to why the hobby is so addictive? I mean - you never hear anyone say "I purchased my first hamster two years ago, now I have seven hundred".
I think it's a combination of factors:
  • People who like tarantulas are generally not looking for companions but animals that are interesting to observe.
  • There are so many interesting species to suit every taste, and you may find that your taste expands or changes in time.
  • Most are relatively inexpensive to acquire, especially as slings.
  • Inexpensive to house and feed.
  • They don't take up much space.
  • Very low-maintenance (rodent and bird cages often require frequent cleaning).
  • Because no one tarantula is very active (and they can fast for a long time before molts), it is good to have at least a few so that you always have some you can observe and feed.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I've
Well back in september I wish I knew how addictive this hobby was. That being said I just purchased 2 new slings. I got an A. Geniculata and a B. Albopilosum. These new little creatures mark my 4th and 5th tarantulas. Dont worry because I only want about 100 more.
I've got eightsince October , and I'm going to a Reptile show in June with my daughter for a long weekend , thought I'd be safe as in no Ts but apparently I've been told there will be some there

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I've

I've got eightsince October , and I'm going to a Reptile show in June with my daughter for a long weekend , thought I'd be safe as in no Ts but apparently I've been told there will be some there
Any T's ypu find at an expo will be cheap to so it's hard to resist

Last edited:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
When you clean/rehouse fish? God, this stinks it's so awful, ugh will this ever come clean?! Please don't die before you make it into the new house.
At least in my experience...

When you rehouse a T, OMFG don't kill me, don't bolt and live in my bookshelf for the next fifteen years then tag me when I go to reread my favorite book. Holy shit look at this web tunnel, where are you?! Omfg maybe I'll do this tomorrow!

Birds are just nasty household animals, I love em, had one but they're feces give off this gross odor dust and their feather dust and just messy overall. Plus I feel like I'd hate to be able to fly but never get to it just feels unfair.

Ts actually like living in their cages.