They are slowly taking over my life

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Honestly what helped me out was working on enclosures.

By make enclosures nice and fancy it limited the amount of spiders I can have by the amount of funds I have and space. As a result I can give more attention to the 30 or so spiders I have and work on more advance techniques such as lighting, live plants, and breeding.

My collection will still grow but, I will never be over my head or scraping money for the next sling.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
Make room in the boat.

I purchased my first T just about two months ago. I became obsessed with learning about them, perusing the galleries, and I couldn't stop. I now have 11 with four more coming in today. :cool:

SpiderTraci

Arachnopeon
The only thing that keeps me from only having two is my arachnaphobic partner who so graciously said OK after 15 years of puppy-dog eyes and please-you-love-me pouts.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The only thing that keeps me from only having two is my agoraphobic partner who so graciously said OK after 15 years of puppy-dog eyes and please-you-love-me pouts.
he'll be addicted soon enough.. give it time, wait till he sees the queen.. ;)

SpiderTraci

Arachnopeon
he'll be addicted soon enough.. give it time, wait till he sees the queen.. ;)
He's already on his way. One of the first things he does when he comes home from work is look in on them. He actually got me out of bed the other night and was like, "Your spider is dead. I think." Yeah, it wasn't, but it was super sweet of him to worry. :D

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I didn't know how addictive it was either. I bought my first two slings in February and have a list of about 15-20 more I want and making room lol.

Xxander Pendragon

Arachnopeon
We have a total of 25, 7 are mine and 7 are my wife's and our son has 2 and our Lil girl has 2, we have 7 that we are talking about selling but I don't think that'll happen. LoL so I guess I have 10 and my wife has 11. I'm also looking for a Praying Mantis and a Asian Forest Scorpion.

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
If I could own all the T's I would. I have a wife, who doesn't like them. I'm at 5 myself atm but all slings. Hopefully her watching them grow will ease her into the hobby. It' working. Used to have a p. metallica and a few other species with my ex. She loved them.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
So, does anyone have theories as to why the hobby is so addictive? I mean - you never hear anyone say "I purchased my first hamster two years ago, now I have seven hundred". I've been pondering this, and I've got an idea. Maybe it has to do with the fact that T's are stimulating in an adrenaline type of way, actually causing a dependency similar to highs from extreme sports, drugs, gambling etc? I mean - I remember the first time I was introduced to a rosea. Intellectually I knew that the creature was harmless but to my surprise some primitive part of my brain kicked in and gave me palpitations and a rush. I'm thinking that this might be related. T's are more stimulating on a deep biological and neurological level than say, a gerbil. Not to hate on Lemmiwinks, though. He's a boss.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I think it's cause we like the idea of them, but then there are so many variants of thia thing we like that we want them all.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
So, does anyone have theories as to why the hobby is so addictive? I mean - you never hear anyone say "I purchased my first hamster two years ago, now I have seven hundred".
Maybe not but I've heard along the lines of "I purchased TWO hamsters years ago, now I have seven hundred". I once bought a single hamster and ended up with 8 more because we found out later she was pregnant when we bought her.

But in my opinion, it's because there are so many different species all with their own unique traits. Plus most require very little space and maintenance compared to most animals. This combination makes people want multiple and makes it pretty easy to do so. I agree with your brother that it causes a "Gotta catch 'em all" kind of effect. I also agree with you on the adrenaline rush having a factor, but more specifically during feeding time. Watching them attack their meal never gets old.

louise f

Arachnoangel
So, does anyone have theories as to why the hobby is so addictive? I mean - you never hear anyone say "I purchased my first hamster two years ago, now I have seven hundred". I've been pondering this, and I've got an idea. Maybe it has to do with the fact that T's are stimulating in an adrenaline type of way, actually causing a dependency similar to highs from extreme sports, drugs, gambling etc? I mean - I remember the first time I was introduced to a rosea. Intellectually I knew that the creature was harmless but to my surprise some primitive part of my brain kicked in and gave me palpitations and a rush. I'm thinking that this might be related. T's are more stimulating on a deep biological and neurological level than say, a gerbil. Not to hate on Lemmiwinks, though. He's a boss.
My theory why they are addictive:

First of all T`s dont smell, have to be cleaned with every second day, and they dont take so much room as seven hundred hamsters would. :D

Second: Have you taken a look of all the beautiful species out there all those different colors that T`s have... No wonder why you get addictive. <3 I want them all.. I must i crave. :D So all in all this hobby is surely addictive. :) I dont get adrenaline kick out of it, well only when i have to rehouse a big Pokie or something and it try to escape:eek:

@Devin B They are taken over your life you say, well get used to it. Lol
Just look at my living room, they taken over my house already :D:eek: