thermostatically controlled multiple T enclosure??

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey folks....this has probably been covered a hundred times already but i guess now its my turn....
well fall is here and at night we open our windows rather than PAY to run the A/C to cool the house.....its not getting toooo cold yet but it will soon and in the winter our house always has cool spots in it (no central heat and A/C)....well tonight it is about 60 degrees outside and i looked and inside the T tank and it is about 70.....i really dont want the big T and the babies to get this cool....and the spot the Ts are in isnt always the warmest place in the house during the winter.......but i rule out putting them somewhere else in the house...it just isnt as convenient as their current location......so, i was thinking that my adult T might have to go to a smaller container (currently 10 gal aquarium) such as a pet pal, kritter keeper or whatever (i havent purchased anything like that yet..that is for another thread)..and besides he is an adult male G. rosea and he hardly ever moves anyway so he really doesnt need all that space....
and i want to put the large T with the smaller Ts into some sort of enclosure with a thermostatically controlled heat source.....does anyone make some kind of reptile heater or anything with a thermostat that is adjustable with DEGREES marked on it??..if not have any of you fabricated one..if so what did you do and how did you do it.....and please dont waste space on this thread telling me how "it isnt worth all the effort involved" or to just move them to a better spot, because im not going to move them and it wouldnt be too much effort to build something no matter how hard.....it might even be fun.....(even more so if i succeeded!!).....i would like the enclosure to be at least semi displayable....i dont want them in just some sort of dark box with a reptile heater in it....also...i rule out using a light bulb of any kind as a heat source and i rule out those walmart type space heaters....they would dry out the air too much......
sorry if i sound too picky/bitchy but its 3am.....what do you expect!?!?LOL;P

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im not sure if this is what you meant or not but dont put 2 tarantulas in the same cage, they will attack and/or eat one another.

Mark

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heat

You may want to try a heat pad underneath tank. You can also attach a line dimmer switch (kind that clamps onto chord) to control temp.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Heat pad under tank - Bad
Heat pad on side of tank - Better

The problem with putting a heat pad underneath a tank is that a T's natural instict is to burrow if it gets to hot to get away from heat. If the heat pad is underneath the tank, then in effect, the T is going to subject itself to higher temperatures trying to escape what it already feels is too much heat. By placing the heat pad on the side of the tank, It can escape heat in two ways.

1. Burrowing
2. Moving to the other side of the tank.

I would never recommend using a heat pad underneath the tank.

Scott

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heat

Well if you put the heatpad on the one side of bottom (ten gal tank) and control the heat with dimmer as not to burn and when watering substrate water on heated side. I thought that would act as a humidifier. I use this setup for my avic (doesnt burrow).

U

Unregistered

if you have a small area that can be closed off (closet, pantry, etc.) you might want to consider putting all of your t's in that small area and purchasing one of those oil filled radiant heaters to heat that area.
Ed

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use heat tape and a plug-in type thermostat along with a dimmer switch. The tape and thermostat were both purchased through Big Apple Herp Supply on-line. The dimmer was purchased at a local hardware supply place. I've got the dimmer set to prevent the tape from heating too rapidly and the tape is set fairly low kind of as a buffer. The room itself has supplemental heat from a small forced air electric space heater. It is also set fairly low. (Approx 75 F) Then I've got a room humidifier in there that I turn on from time to time just as insurance. It is all overkill in my opinion, but I had the stuff from previous snake projects and just thought I'd use it.

Botar

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I've got this idea to set up a 20L with a couple of side tape heaters and a couple capfuls of water on the floor, and just stack the deli cups/containers inside... slap an 80% plexi lid under your screen top, and you're good to go... I think this would provide viewing (glass), humidity (open water & heat), and well... heat.

I'm thinking of trying this with my 'pedes...

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Kosh,
I would just move the T's somewhere else in the house, cause it would be to hard to build a heater. Its just not worth the effort involved. Or maybe you could install a central heating unit in the house.:D :D JFWY ;P ;P ;P

Ernie

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ive got one of those radiant heaters and it was the best thing ive ever bought! once it warms up it heats very fast and maintains heat in the oil for long after i turn it off so it saves power and its thermastatically controlled with low, med, and high. I would reccomend this method of heating a T room to anyone.

Mark

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i like the idea of the oil filled radiant heater (except the fairly large size they usually come in)....but i would want one with a precise (possibly digital) thermostat...not just high, med, low....if i want my spiders at say 80 degrees i would like to be able to select that exact temp and have the thermostat maintain it....i was thinking about maybe a book case type deal with some glass doors on front (sliding or hinged, doesnt matter) and some of the thermal tape....cant the thermal tape be controlled with a thermostat??..you can buy home thermostats cheap at lowes, home depot...i wonder what it would take to wire one of those in circuit??
i guess it would depend on how much amperage a regular home thermostat would take....isnt heat tape just an insulated conductiing wire that heats up when current is applied?? (ive never seen or used heat tape)

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh yeah......and MrT....HAHA...lol....i had a feeling someone would do that!!..lol...;P ;P

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kosh
....i was thinking about maybe a book case type deal with some glass doors on front (sliding or hinged, doesnt matter) and some of the thermal tape....cant the thermal tape be controlled with a thermostat??..you can buy home thermostats cheap at lowes, home depot...i wonder what it would take to wire one of those in circuit??
i guess it would depend on how much amperage a regular home thermostat would take....isnt heat tape just an insulated conductiing wire that heats up when current is applied?? (ive never seen or used heat tape)
Go to www.bigappleherp.com and look up their heating products. You'll find the heat tape there that I'm talking about. That is the only place I've been able to find it. It is specifically designed for heating cages and can be cut to any length in 1' increments. IMO it would be awesome for what you are talking about building. I use the wider heat tape, but if I were buying now, I'd go with the narrower version. I have it hooked up to a thermostat (also from Big Apple) and a dimmer switch from a hardware store. You hook up the tape to a plug, plug it into the dimmer and the dimmer into the thermostat which just plugs into the wall socket. It is very user friendly.

Botar

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BOTAR......checked out the site...looked at thermal tape and thermostats for controlling it.....combined with a rheostat (dimmer) i think that may be the SHIZNIT!!!.....their thermostats seem a bit high $$$ though....but i guess it would be a one time investment...THANKS DUDE!!!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No problem... if you do the sliding glass enclosure, let me know. I'd be interested in building something similar. I have plans for a shelf system out of plywood for snakes from years ago if you are interested. There are no glass doors involved though. I'd have to try to find it too, but I never throw anything away, so I think I could locate it.

Botar

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have an old 2 shelf bookcase i rescued from someones trash years ago....i used to use it for storing video tapes but my girlfriend has since claimed it for knick-knacks.....it already has slots in the top and bottom where it used to have sliding glass doors...thinkin about trying to talk her out of it and painting it and maybe puttin in some plexiglass doors......not sure if two shelves are gonna be big enough for future additons though...and when the curlies get bigger..it will run out of room fast....might have to build a new, bigger one.....wondering what type of paint, if any, would be safe to use on it though...(fumes)....and wondering about getting good ventilation/air flow with that type of system..without losing the heat....
just throwing ideas out there......

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd seen plans on using an old refridgerator as an incubator. The system used a heat source on a thermostat and a small fan for increased ventilation. That might be an interesting option as well. I think an old restaraunt style glass two door fridge would be quite the find... adjustable shelves, easy to maintain heat and humidity, secure, etc.

Botar

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya'll are some creative SOBs...lol, I just gotta put my two cents in that when the time comes for me to get out of this apt., and I have room for my experiemental set-ups...I'm hitting you guys up. hehe:cool:

Marcus

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a brainstorming collective effort. There are some incredibly talented and educated people on this site. I've learned tons and have got tons left to learn... at least I'm in the right spot.

Botar

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kosh,
If you paint, use latex paint. After a couple days the smell will go away. Latex fumes arn't harmful, just kinda stinky.. Oil base paint fumes could harm the T's get you high and drive you out of the house.

E