Theraphosas / Mice

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Here's a word of caution... Among Theraphosa breeders, it's not uncommon to feed a mouse to a mated female, as to ensure that all the nutrients are present in the body (what is true, but not needed). What many unfortunately do not consider is that frozen food and mice from pet shops are usually treated with an anti-mite agent. The actual target group (reptiles) doesn't care, but the spider is sentenced to death if eating the mouse!
That's just good advice. No one will admit it anyway when mice are fed... Nevertheless, the dying suddenly stopped in our association when I wrote about it...😉

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Did not know this and gives me even more reason why mice don’t need to be fed to tarantulas! Thanks for sharing this tidbit!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is there any actual evidence for this?

Show me an ingredient list or something similar.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
An indication of the ingredients is - at least in the EU - not necessary/planned for frozen food for animals. I asked the manufacturers. In 13 out of 15 cases, I was told that the animals had been treated with mite repellent - which makes perfect sense for reptiles. If you doubt my statement, I advise you to do the same!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's a word of caution... Among Theraphosa breeders, it's not uncommon to feed a mouse to a mated female, as to ensure that all the nutrients are present in the body (what is true, but not needed). What many unfortunately do not consider is that frozen food and mice from pet shops are usually treated with an anti-mite agent. The actual target group (reptiles) doesn't care, but the spider is sentenced to death if eating the mouse!
That's just good advice. No one will admit it anyway when mice are fed... Nevertheless, the dying suddenly stopped in our association when I wrote about it...😉
I’ve never used mice because they are not necessary. Nice info

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Didn't know that either ! Glad I never bothered trying to feed one to any of my Ts. I avoid it because of the pain a live mouse would go through. Ts can be pretty brutal once they're in feeding mode. And I would never try frozen/thawed either. Where's the fun in that ? I absolutely enjoy watching my Ts stalk their crickets, it's simply fascinating behavior.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Didn't know that either ! Glad I never bothered trying to feed one to any of my Ts. I avoid it because of the pain a live mouse would go through. Ts can be pretty brutal once they're in feeding mode. And I would never try frozen/thawed either. Where's the fun in that ? I absolutely enjoy watching my Ts stalk their crickets, it's simply fascinating behavior.
yeah I agree, they're response with crickets is good enough for me!!

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
Good lord I've been keeping for 15+ years and never knew this :eek:. I didn't think much about feeding mice to my Ts because I know the cleanup would be a stinky nightmare but now this...

Pass.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Coincidentally, I'm seeing this thread just right after the day my male T. blondi has matured and I'm starting to prepare both male and female.

It's good info to know. While I do feed my gravid females pinkies, I make sure where I source out what I feed them. The reptile store where I get the frozen pinkies produce and freeze them theirselves so no chemical added whatsoever.