Theraphosa blondi?

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
I had a new Theraphosa blondi through the post today, although i know very little about this species, i have doubts whether it is one.
It only about an inch long, very dark coloured, long legs, plump round abdomen, but it has REALLY long hair, all over its body and legs. I just need you to rest my fears.

Thanks you.

Last edited:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
KL,

My experience with T. blondi is limited to two T's that I got as slings a bit over a year ago. They were about 2.5" and looked somewhat similar to what you described. If the hair length is what is throwing you, I wouldn't be too worried about that. My surviving T. blondi just molted a bit over a week ago and it's new hairs are quite long.

Botar

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Thanks, its just that the only spider i have seen that hairy is my sub adult curly hair.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was amazed at what gangly and goofy looking slings they were when I got some several years ago. I didn't think they even looked like tarantulas. At 1", your's is probably a newly emerged sling, wich is pretty big for a newborn!

Wade

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Mine looked exactly the way you described, when I first got him. They're certainly goofy little spiderlings, but that's what makes them so cute ;) You'll be happy to know that my boy is 7" long now, and starting to get ready for his next molt.

-Bryan

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, they definitely have that gawky adolescent look. My T. blondi is just over three inches now and it still looks like it's having a perpetually bad hair day.

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
For one so young, she certainly is a little rascal. Always rearing up at me, i wanted to see if she would bite me, so i touched her front legs, but she just ran off.

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
I gave her a cricket today, bigger than her, as i couldnt get smaller. She played her abdomen with her legs like a violin, then attacked. A very violent kill indeed. I like this vicious rascal.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cricket competitor

Hey Your Highness,
I want to feed a live cricket to my s'ling, but I'm afraid the cricket will dominate. So, my little spidey is stuck eating chopped up cricket. After reading about your T.Blondi though, maybe I'll just try one live wimpy cricket...see what happens.
Paul

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Hold it! This is one mean spider, its just chpoed another cricket, then lunged at me while i put the lid back on. Then it flicked a load of hair at me. Are you sure yours can handle a cricket?

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Cricket competitor

Originally posted by Rookie
Hey Your Highness,
I want to feed a live cricket to my s'ling, but I'm afraid the cricket will dominate. So, my little spidey is stuck eating chopped up cricket. After reading about your T.Blondi though, maybe I'll just try one live wimpy cricket...see what happens.
Paul
Put a small (under a half inch) one in and watch it for a few minutes, then take it out. If your spider's hungry, you might be surprised what happens.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, that's disturbing...

Anyway, when they are small, they tend to look strange, as others have said. The legs are quite thin, which makes the hairs look more prominent (to me, anyhow). The hairs aren't real dense but they are long, to me they look almost like a bunch of spines radiating off of the T, because the really short bristles covering the Ts body and legs aren't too visible due to the small size of the T. I got one at about that size that is now around 3" and is only now starting to look reasonably non-goofy. And in my experience, these guys are really vicious when it comes to prey, I toss crickets to them w/o much heed paid to size. My 3 incher took 5 crickets last time it was fed and was going for more but couldn't fit them all.

Adrian

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
I have never seen a spider this small, show so much aggression, im really pleased i got her.

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) hi , posted this before somewhere here:rolleyes: but my little a.geniculata that is only the size of a penny eats adult brown crickets. she is a right vicious little beasty and isnt afraid to face of at me with a threat display. only once she ran and that was round in circles until she picked up above her body a piece of plant that was bigger than her , surprised me how something so tiny can be so strong. she really likes her food too:D

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Thats what happened when he came to my palace selling girl scout cookies.