Theraphosa blondi egg sac!!

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
Well here they are.. i've pulled 20 that had gone bad..6-7 weeks and no legs yet and colour looks a bit off... what do others think?

Attachments

Last edited:

Ran

Arachnoknight
When I’ve bred Theraphosa I leave the sac with the mother...but, it does look like you have a few still viable. Remove all infertile black ones so no mold..these are supposed to be consumed by the stronger slings while in the sac....as are all weaker ones.

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
When I’ve bred Theraphosa I leave the sac with the mother...but, it does look like you have a few still viable. Remove all infertile black ones so no mold..these are supposed to be consumed by the stronger slings while in the sac....as are all weaker ones.
How long did they take to grow legs?

Ran

Arachnoknight
LOL...I left sac with mother...mother opens sac when they are ready to have first molt...then they feed. So, I have no time frame for you but, once they molt you should then separate individuals. I left mine with mother for a couple feedings in which she fed them with what she caught.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I left mine with mother for a couple feedings in which she fed them with what she caught.
That's surprising to me, I was under the impression that the sack was removed from the mother, and the slings separated from each other when they reach second instar so they don't cannibalize.. Or do you allow them to cannibalize a little, survival of the fittest?

And the fact that mom didn't munch on babies, but instead fed them with HER food is bananas to me. (I've read that the female doesn't always eat the sack if it's left with her, but I figured the movement would illicit more of a feeding response.)

Can anyone else confirm this behavior? I just haven't heard much about spoods taking care of spoodlings (other than wolf spiders)

(Hi, my name is Miranda, and there are things I don't know :angelic:)

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
Well, I think not so good news. None have sprouted legs yet and most are turning black so I can only assume infertile. Real shame!

Hi Miranda,

In my experience none of spiderlings will cannibalise if fed well from 1st instar. Referring to above, when they are nymphs they may suckle on very weak nymphs, never seen so myself. This might help their supplies last longer until they are ready to feed properly. Spiderlings may however eat nymphs.. If conditions are good, they aren't stressed, mother had been fed good nutritious food and spiderlings have good supplies + fed well then cannibalism is very unlikely.

That's surprising to me, I was under the impression that the sack was removed from the mother, and the slings separated from each other when they reach second instar so they don't cannibalize.. Or do you allow them to cannibalize a little, survival of the fittest?

And the fact that mom didn't munch on babies, but instead fed them with HER food is bananas to me. (I've read that the female doesn't always eat the sack if it's left with her, but I figured the movement would illicit more of a feeding response.)

Can anyone else confirm this behavior? I just haven't heard much about spoods taking care of spoodlings (other than wolf spiders)

Last edited by a moderator:

ediblepain

Arachnosquire

M balfouri are known to live communally. I have 5 living in a group

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
M balfouri are known to live communally. I have 5 living in a group
They're kinda the exception to the rule, are they not? I'm asking about the vast majority of T's that do not do well in a communal setting.

Hi Miranda,

In my experience none of spiderlings will cannibalise if fed well from 1st instar. Referring to above, when they are nymphs they may suckle on very weak nymphs, never seen so myself. This might help their supplies last longer until they are ready to feed properly. Spiderlings may however eat nymphs.. If conditions are good, they aren't stressed, mother had been fed good nutritious food and spiderlings have good supplies + fed well then cannibalism is very unlikely.
Have you ever seen mamma spider "feed" baby spider? That was the part that really got me.

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
Have you ever seen mamma spider "feed" baby spider? That was the part that really got me.
Yes many times, if you feed a frozen mouse(thawed and warmed slightly on radiator), she will allow spiderlings to feast after has saturated in digestive juices. Of course with crickets it's quite difficult, better with much larger feast

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Yes many times, if you feed a frozen mouse(thawed and warmed slightly on radiator), she will allow spiderlings to feast after has saturated in digestive juices. Of course with crickets it's quite difficult, better with much larger feast
Wow! That's amazing. At what point will they start attacking each other? 2nd-3rd instar?

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
Again depends on food - I've never ever had a problem with this. I think 2-3 instar is fine, whenever they want to start digging and having space of their own. You feed them well and they are all happy together for a long time, same with most Ts.

So unfortunately bad news they are infertile.

Attachments

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
What a shame. Good news is that you'll have plenty of chances to try again as long as you've got a male handy
Certainly a positive however not something I really have the time for. Does anyone know how long a T.blondi male can remain fertile after final moult?

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Certainly a positive however not something I really have the time for. Does anyone know how long a T.blondi male can remain fertile after final moult?
You will have to wait till female
Sheds to try again.if its e.g within six months you should be alright topair again.are you sure sack was infertile ?she would have eaten it 9/10 times also what is parentage of your blondi ? Are they both from same egg sack .brorher&sister is preffered method my many successfull german ^european breeders who have slings for sale all year round.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Too bad! T. blondi is one I will definitely get in the future, just got to save my pennies!