Theraphosa apophysis adult female pic?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This is my new Theraphosa apophysis. Its pretty big, this pic makes it look small. Is there a way to tell the defferacne between an adult T. apophysis and a T. blondi ? I have both and its hard to tell the differance when there are full grown.

Attachments

spiderPeter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, I also think that spider pictured on second pics is adult Theraphosa blondi. I am adding pictures of my adult apophysis female, from which you can see differences between these two species.

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they are great spiders! keep them coming...guys... :p :D

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah thats a blondi alright. They are actually quite different when they are grown up!!! T. apophysis are much more slender and leggy, and also tend to have a purple sheen(esp. mature males) T. apophysis also lack those tree trunk femurs that T. blondi usually have, and their prosoma is much smaller in comparison.

Heres pics of T. apohysis and blondi respectively:

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Wow, how'd this thread get dug up? But thanx for everyones replys... a year later ;P I have since have found out that the spider in question is indeed a blondi. I got it from a young dealer in the New England area, (you figure it out). I now have a real apophysis and can see the differance. Anyways nice pics everyone, and Metallica, i wouldnt of guessed your pic is a apophysis. :?
Thanx Tom

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i didnt realized its an old thread till i read the last part.

glad you have both specie Philt, few questions for you all, how come more people own a blondi than apohysis? which is a better specie ? i'm thinking of getting either one...mostlikely a blondi. sorry if my questions are too general.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
how come more people own a blondi than apohysis? which is a better specie ?
Wild cuaght T. blondi's are a fairly common import these days, at reptile expos, and some pet stores, its not a hard spider too find. Thats why more people have them. apophysis just arent around as much. Most of the ones I have seen for sale came from CB babies that came from Europe. If your looking too get a real apophysis either buy a baby that still has its "pink foot"s or get it from respectable dealer. I got burned on this deal :rolleyes:

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wonder if this is the same young chap responsible for my Brachy klassi and Brachy ruhnauis both turning out to be L. parahybanas... :rolleyes:

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since we're talkin about the goliath pinkfoot, do u people think that a 2.5" juv should cost $120? coz the pet store is selling one for that much. Its got its pink feet.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow someone is dumpster diving lol, and no the goliath pink foot usually dont cost that much, well at least not from an online dealer.
Heres a good example of pet store's jacking the price up, our local "exotic" pet store has a Lasiodora parahybana, Brazilian Salmon, 1.5 for $70.00 that you usually can get between 30 and 40 dollars.
:embarrassed:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
jbrd said:
wow someone is dumpster diving lol, and no the goliath pink foot usually dont cost that much, well at least not from an online dealer.
Heres a good example of pet store's jacking the price up, our local "exotic" pet store has a Lasiodora parahybana, Brazilian Salmon, 1.5 for $70.00 that you usually can get between 30 and 40 dollars.
:embarrassed:
Actually, $100 to $125 is the going rate at most dealers for a juvie T. apophysis.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Philth said:
Wow, how'd this thread get dug up? But thanx for everyones replys... a year later ;P I have since have found out that the spider in question is indeed a blondi. I got it from a young dealer in the New England area, (you figure it out). I now have a real apophysis and can see the differance. Anyways nice pics everyone, and Metallica, i wouldnt of guessed your pic is a apophysis. :?
Thanx Tom
Hey Tom!
I got one of those changing apo's myself from him. I'll go you one better, my female apophysis is a male, and most likely blondi, I bet by this time next year it's actually Id'ed as a cat !!!!! {D

T :D

BTW, do male apo's have hooks and blondi do not, or is it vice-versa ? Or do they both have them?!?!?!? I've heard it several ways now

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nick_schembri said:
Since we're talkin about the goliath pinkfoot, do u people think that a 2.5" juv should cost $120? coz the pet store is selling one for that much. Its got its pink feet.
I'd say... go for it:)