Theoretical avic enclosure

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
All the research I've been doing about avics has got me thinking. They need humidity, but stuffiness and muskiness will kill them. So I've come up with a theoretical enclosure. Rather than substrate, it has a pool of water covered with a plastic mesh. The mesh prevents the spider from falling in. Instead of anything that could mold, a small log or logs could be made with the mesh and covered with plastic plants. Seems a bit sterile, but the spider wouldn't have a hard time climbing it.
I don't expect this is a perfect theory. I have no experience with arboreals. I'd love everyone's thoughts though.
image.jpeg

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Perhaps I'll make a prototype and try it out with a local jumper.
My thought at the moment is, "it could work, but it's weird and I don't know if it will."

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Perhaps I'll make a prototype and try it out with a local jumper.
My thought at the moment is, "it could work, but it's weird and I don't know if it will."
I don't raise my Avics with any significant amount of humidity resembling a rainforest. I hope you aren't reading care-sheets. They are full of crap.

A jumper is not an Avic. After all the advice provided, you are overthinking this.

The standing water will attract mites quite well, good luck!

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
I could not agree more with viper when I had my A.versicolor before I sold it it ended up being a male. The only thing I did for humidity was over flow its water dish. You are putting way to much emphasis on humidity, learn what your spider wants if you're finding it constantly near its water dish moisten some of the substrate. There is no need for this elaborate of a setup for any species. If they did need that complicated of a setup to be kept optimally they would not be as popular. K I am done with the critiquing here's what I would do stick with your inverted amac box they work great make sure there is ample cross ventilation and overflow the water dish once a while and you should be fine. Good Luck!:)

kooky

Arachnosquire
from everything i have read and learned on here, its that ventilation is pretty much the most important thing for them. If they dont have enough ventilation they die, i dont think humidity is as much of an issue (again i dont own any at this point so i may be wrong xd) nice to see people being so creative though :)

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I don't raise my Avics with any significant amount of humidity resembling a rainforest. I hope you aren't reading care-sheets. They are full of crap.

A jumper is not an Avic. After all the advice provided, you are overthinking this.

The standing water will attract mites quite well, good luck!
It wouldn't be to see if the jumper could survive. I know it would, it would be about finding out if a living spider and its leavings would grow anything potentially harmful in that kind of environment. I was just thinking. Not reading dumb care sheets, no worries.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I come up with a lot of wierd ideas when I'm tired and stressed. Keeps my mind off whatever is stressing me. Honestly, I'm probably not going to get an avic anytime soon. I can't find one the right size.