The World's Deadliest Spider

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Lady Latro wearing a sun hat and dark glasses, pulling her carry on luggage. Now try to get that image out of your mind.
I cannot.

I purposely didn't share the article to avoid giving them the click traffic.

As someone who keeps more than my fair share of invertebrates and Latrodectus spp. I wholeheartedly disapprove of fear mongering clickbait articles such as the above.

You’re the second person to write about this.

How are you peeps learning what Indians wrote about? I never see or read this news site.

Did you write to the editor or anyone there? If not then you’re wasting your time ranting here.
Google recommends articles that its Terminator level AI thinks I want to read based on my browsing history.

8littlelegs

Arachnopeon
I purposely didn't share the article to avoid giving them the click traffic.

As someone who keeps more than my first share of invertebrates and Latrodectus spp. I wholeheartedly disapprove of fear mongering clickbait articles such as the above.
Oo, you're right. I probably shouldn't have shared it; they don't deserve the traffic.
However, people at least can write the editor and let them know that the barest amount of research would have yielded them ten times more truth instead of all that bull.
Of course, an article titled, "Black Widows Actually Pretty Chill--Not Scary at All", wouldn't have gained them many views. 😂

Oh my God--when they said you posted a similar thing, I had no idea it was from the same exact article!!!
I swear to God, I'm just now seeing this!
This is freaking hilarious! I guess you and I both had the same thing on our minds, today! This made my day!!!♡

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Of course, an article titled, "Black Widows Actually Pretty Chill--Not Scary at All", wouldn't have gained them many views.
What would be beneficial, prophylactic, would be wide spread info bits on how to easily detect the presence of widows. Especially teaching children how to notice those ultra strong webs and avoid them. After all, this is the commonest way people come into contact with Latros.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Thanks!

I never see anything from google, other than what I search for.
Mine suggesteded stuff too based on my searches second one was an article about a cobalt blue 🔍 and if you click the logo you get this …
Yet I see no cicadas here fake news ?!! IMG_8950.png

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like that you do that. I wish more people did.
It's hard to preach change for something that is viewed SO negatively by just about everyone.
But that's a good way to start. Battle the misinformation with science--just the facts.
Bet you if the people spouting this stuff actually took the time to educate themselves, they'd see what we see, and fall in love.
Thanks for your reply and for clarifying-sorry if I misunderstood ya.
Oh, and in answer to your earlier question: that Hindustani spider hate article somehow just popped up on my feed, in Google. Not sure why, but I could tell they were phoney just from the article's title.
Thanks! I wish more did as well.

It is very hard! However, this is how I look at it:

1. What is the state of affairs now (garbage), so if I do nothing that's where we stay. However, if I write/educate that's a difference that may or may not take us out of garbage, but I know what I'm getting now, so writing a thoughtful letter, or calling a company etc is a chance that something better will come out. So far, I've been successful in some areas, and not in others of course.

Some people would change their mind, I've heard all sorts of stories, and others won't. I actually don't care if someone likes arachnids or not. However they should recognize the value all animals have in the web of life, And as we know, how many animals benefit man directly.

Thanks for the info- Yea, I see it pops up in peeps feeds. I don't have a google feed, so that's why I was confused.

The Snark

Old Timer
Terrified? Naw. Our darling @darkness975 would be working more along the lines of 'Aww nuts. To pull it or not to pull it, that is the question. And just where and how am I going to house another couple hundred sweet little cannibals?'

Just IMHO, in the top ten of all time endearing activities is a child (or adult) gently and carefully containing a spider and sending it on it's way outdoors.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
AI at its finest.
I can’t even say Ive seen widow death in the news . Latrodectus bites must be extremely rare . Im sure it’s happened
Terrified? Naw. Our darling @darkness975 would be working more along the lines of 'Aww nuts. To pull it or not to pull it, that is the question. And just where and how am I going to house another couple hundred sweet little cannibals?'

Just IMHO, in the top ten of all time endearing activities is a child (or adult) gently and carefully containing a spider and sending it on it's way outdoors.
I mostly see house centipedes only seen three spiders so far this year. In the basement.

8littlelegs

Arachnopeon
What would be beneficial, prophylactic, would be wide spread info bits on how to easily detect the presence of widows. Especially teaching children how to notice those ultra strong webs and avoid them. After all, this is the commonest way people come into contact with Latros.
Ooo, yeah, this. Very smart. Sorry about that typo, I fell asleep on my phone, haha.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I can’t even say Ive seen widow death in the news . Latrodectus bites must be extremely rare . Im sure it’s happened
None in the US for decades now.

A small amount in Australia from L. hasselti.

Same concept applies with other inverts (young, old, immune compromised, etc).

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yet I see no cicadas here fake news ?!!
cic.png
the light blue and brown shaded regions are where broods have emerged this year, with some overlap

but even locally emergence is highly variable. i lived within the range of brood X in 2021 but only saw annual cicadas in my neighborhood. i went to a park less than ten miles away and the periodical cicadas were everywhere.

8littlelegs

Arachnopeon
View attachment 474435
the light blue and brown shaded regions are where broods have emerged this year, with some overlap

but even locally emergence is highly variable. i lived within the range of brood X in 2021 but only saw annual cicadas in my neighborhood. i went to a park less than ten miles away and the periodical cicadas were everywhere.
How loud was it? Could you hear yourself think?

Snerk. Ironic. Apropos. A huge yardage shop at the local market. A while back I was cooling my jets while pard went selecting cloth among the 10,000 rolls. Seeing the images of Shiva and Rama all over the walls I struck up a convo with the Hindu proprietor woman to learn up on Hindu pantheon lore. While we chatted her hubby came in with a large stack of Hindustan Times papers fresh from the news stand. He busied himself unfolding the papers and laying them on floor of the aisles to clean up the dirt customers tracked in. My intro to that newspaper and what value the educated crowd placed on it. Apparently along the lines of citing Fox News in a discussion at a reputable university.
We just happened to be in that shop again yesterday.

(Images of Shiva are notable that s/he wears a snake, usually around her/his neck. Rama and Sita's sons were Kusha and Lava.)
Haha, they were on the floor.
How can there be all these coincidences to some obscure web news site?
I didn't even realize it but someone actually posted on here, citing annoyance over the same link!

Those Hindustanis are sneaky, Snark ;)

FYI--not racist at all; I think Hindu lore is so beautiful. My favorite deity from it is Ganesh, the Remover of Obstacles.
I wish there was a Hindu store in my town where I could go browse.

That news site is pervasive, I'll say that for it.
And yes, about as credible as Faux news.

The Snark

Old Timer
How can there be all these coincidences to some obscure web news site?
Another snerk. English printed version of the HT Media rag. Probably because that news stand's location is the epicenter of tourism of the country thanks to where that news stand is located. A web search of Wararot, Kaed Luang translated: market large, explained why that place is always wall to wall tourists. The countries largest market that is concentrated in one complex of buildings.

(From my fire fighter perspective, the central building brooks no close second world wide in being a fire trap. I always keep in mind the shortest exit routes. And it is only one of about 50-70 buildings surrounding it housing the greater market with narrow winding streets perpetually jamb packed with people and small delivery vehicles it would be next to impossible to get a fire truck down. .oO hose lay.... no hydrants - pump from Ping river 3 blocks away, Closest FD five blocks away across from US Consulate but they have no ladder trucks and only two 2 1/2 pumpers without heavy draft capability...)

Last edited:

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Understatement of the year.

The fear mongering is out of control.

I would also like to know who these so-called "experts" are that this tabloid article is referencing.
Just to mention, the Hindustan Times is India's equivalent of Fox News. Beneath the facade it's basically a paparazzi tabloid with an abysmal Brand Trust rating (overall credibility). And I'm being polite here. Bias. sensationalism, back room dealings and government ties and connections seem to be it's status quo.
One telltale aspect of HT is it is printed in English in order to appeal to western commercial consumerism.
Sadly, that's what 99% of the media has become: a source of fearmongering on a local, national, and global scale. It's incredible how words and misinformation like this can essentially brainwash the public.
In this era of information and globalization, these kinds of articles can have terrible affects on the public-- misinformation goes a long way and reaches deep.

The Snark

Old Timer
It's incredible how words and misinformation like this can essentially brainwash the public.
In this era of information and globalization, these kinds of articles can have terrible affects on the public-- misinformation goes a long way and reaches deep.
It's deliberate and intentional. It started with TV. Grabbed peoples attention. Multi billion dollar industry took note of this and added advertising. TV shows quickly became the 'hooks' to keep people's attention while the real purpose, advertising came along for the ride. Sensationalism, appealing to the senses triggering various biochemical responses, as Worlds Deadliest Spider are the 'hooks'. Just scan through Youtube today. The initial hook, major drama or quite often, an attractive female.
Social media comes along and companies like Google capitalize on it, injecting commercials. Now 70 years on refining the brain washing process... as Frank Zappa put it:
Your mind is totally controlled
it has been stuffed into my mold
and you will do as you are told...

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
What would society be without fear?

How to sell more spiders? Nah… i would not dare go there. I do not want to go there.

But fear… now that is a powerful tool to have if you know how to use it.

Without fear, we could all be free. What a utopian concept that would be.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
It's deliberate and intentional. It started with TV. Grabbed peoples attention. Multi billion dollar industry took note of this and added advertising. TV shows quickly became the 'hooks' to keep people's attention while the real purpose, advertising came along for the ride. Sensationalism, appealing to the senses triggering various biochemical responses, as Worlds Deadliest Spider are the 'hooks'. Just scan through Youtube today. The initial hook, major drama or quite often, an attractive female.
Social media comes along and companies like Google capitalize on it, injecting commercials. Now 70 years on refining the brain washing process... as Frank Zappa put it:
Your mind is totally controlled
it has been stuffed into my mold
and you will do as you are told...

Now the advertising media practically owns tv. And streaming. Sheep 🐑 don’t wake up lol 😆

The Snark

Old Timer
Now the advertising media practically owns tv. And streaming. Sheep 🐑 don’t wake up lol
Pretty jaw dropping. Monday night prime time football commands over $800,000 for a 30 second advertising time slot.