The tarantula keeper's guide.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A good read if you ask me. If you don't own this book, You should.
It is a good read, and the sectiobs concerning anatomy and mating are mostly correct. However, the rest of the book is terribly outdated. The writers had NW experience only, and mostly terrestrials. Their notion of keeping an Avicularia/Caribena species in a barren enclosure without substrate is very bad.
There is a new edition in progress but no one knows how long it will be until published.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is plenty of valuable information hidden within the tkg but as @Andrea82 as stated there's some outdated sections.
I've found that if you use it along side another book or books you should fine I tend to use tkg, tarantulas of the world and a small book simply called tarantulas and scorpions in captivity. All that aside I too would recommend it as a starting point

Jeff23

Arachnolord
This book has good basic general information. It covers the anatomy and does distinguish between hair and setae from molecular stand point.

It covers all areas of husbandry to put the important stuff into your head that you must consider.

The sections on specific species and types of tarantulas have some incorrect methods.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I found it to be a weird mixture of legit info and a terrible pet store care sheet. It really needs to be revised and updated.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It has some good info and some really dated/bad info. The problem I have with it is it's really only helpful to newer keepers. They are likely not to know the difference between the good advice and the dated/bad. So they are just as likely to grab bad care advice as good.

I personally will no longer recommend it till it gets a much needed update.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I've been waiting for the revised edition to come out. I remember awhile back on here when Stan had a thread where people could submit useful information to add to it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've been waiting for the revised edition to come out. I remember awhile back on here when Stan had a thread where people could submit useful information to add to it.
As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Stan and his wife don't even keep tarantulas anymore. Even if a new edition comes out, I can't imagine how it'd be very helpful without firsthand experience.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Stan and his wife don't even keep tarantulas anymore. Even if a new edition comes out, I can't imagine how it'd be very helpful without firsthand experience.
To that point, the author(s) have used a lot of information provided by individuals in the tarantula keeping community which in my opinion is the best source of information on captive husbandry. One doesn't need first hand experience with every aspect of keeping tarantulas to produce an informative book. When these threads about The Tarantula Keeper's Guide come up, I can't help to wonder if everyone understands that a lot of the information that is included comes from the very same community we are a part of.

I also can't help to wonder how many critics of this book have read it cover to cover and are forming their own opinions. Some of the criticisms I've seen around here from different people sure do seem like they are the re-worded opinions of others. It's amazing how many posts read almost the exact same.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I also can't help to wonder how many critics of this book have read it cover to cover and are forming their own opinions.
Why would someone buy a book and then not read it cover to cover? That's the point, right?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
To that point, the author(s) have used a lot of information provided by individuals in the tarantula keeping community which in my opinion is the best source of information on captive husbandry. One doesn't need first hand experience with every aspect of keeping tarantulas to produce an informative book. When these threads about The Tarantula Keeper's Guide come up, I can't help to wonder if everyone understands that a lot of the information that is included comes from the very same community we are a part of.

I also can't help to wonder how many critics of this book have read it cover to cover and are forming their own opinions. Some of the criticisms I've seen around here from different people sure do seem like they are the re-worded opinions of others. It's amazing how many posts read almost the exact same.
I own this book, and overall I'm actually a fan of it. And I hear what you're saying about experience, but there's a big difference between adding in extra information from the community and simply not keeping them yourself at all. Then it's nothing but hearsay... which is what these forums are for. Why drop money on a book authored by a professional only to get the same information you'd find on here for free? I'd want to hear Stan's opinions and personal experiences, not those of anonymous people online.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Why drop money on a book authored by a professional only to get the same information you'd find on here for free?
The same information or better for free. Example: on page 247, the author suggests using an aquarium with a screen cover on its side as an arboreal enclosure. We all know better. And there are things like that sprinkled throughout, that make you start to wonder which info is good and which is not.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Stan's is nothing special IMO, just an old man that for first decided to write a book about T's. Wonder why said opera never hit the Bestseller Top 5 :troll:

Joooking. I suggest to everyone to read TKG: Stan's writing style is lovely and enjoyable. Seriously :-s

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I own this book, and overall I'm actually a fan of it. And I hear what you're saying about experience, but there's a big difference between adding in extra information from the community and simply not keeping them yourself at all. Then it's nothing but hearsay... which is what these forums are for. Why drop money on a book authored by a professional only to get the same information you'd find on here for free? I'd want to hear Stan's opinions and personal experiences, not those of anonymous people online.
If a new revision comes out he will definitely need to fix the part that does require knowledge about a bunch of different species of tarantulas. The anatomy and general outline of everything is already good now. I read it right as I began to access this forum. The timing was perfect for me to get the corrections here as the book gave me more areas to investigate.

Maybe he could team up with someone who is an expert to accomplish this fix. There are individuals who have a wealth of knowledge but aren't experienced writers themselves.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Stan's wife passed away several years ago. Last I recall, he was living in a motor home and traveling, with her ashes in an urn accompanying him (per her last wishes).