The second largest monitor lizard?

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have two old Australian wildlife documentaries which claim that the Perentie (Varanus giganteus) is the second largest monitor lizard in the world, behind the Komodo Dragon. Though according to a recent issue of National Geographic magazine, that notable distinction goes to some kind of Asian monitor (can't recall the common name or scientific name.) Does anyone here know which source is true?

TreeGuy

Arachnopeon
I'd trust the most recent authority.
Chances are the asian one wasn't even known when the old docs came out

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
varanus salvator is the 2nd largest iirc. the perentie may get as long or even a little longer but the water monitor has it beat, hands down, in mass.

for length though, varanus salvadorii takes the cake i think.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It all has to do with whether they are talking about length or mass.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
V. komodoensis on average is the largest in terms of length and mass.

Depending on whether you're talking length or mass (as mentioned above) the second place spot could go to V. salvator (water monitor), V. giganteus (Perentie), or V. salvadorii.

It will also depend if you're considered the average adult size, or the extreme outliers. The locality can also change the ranking as not all water monitor subspecies have the same adult size.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure V. Salvator are the largest Monitor lizard of the Komodo.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure V. Salvator are the largest Monitor lizard of the Komodo.
Nope. V. komodoensis is the largest on average. V. salvator get large, and the longest is up there (I have the length somewhere), but the average mass of V. komodoensis and the average adult length surpass that of V. salvator.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nope. V. komodoensis is the largest on average. V. salvator get large, and the longest is up there (I have the length somewhere), but the average mass of V. komodoensis and the average adult length surpass that of V. salvator.
Oh snap, I meant "second largest"! My bad.:eek:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
V. salvator get up to 9 feet :drool:

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i had a nat geo t-shirt w/ a western diamond back rattler on it. shirt read "largest rattlesnake in north america." wrong! eastern is the largest rattler. nat geo do not always get their facts straight.

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
V. salvator (Asian Water Monitor) is the second largest monitor with records of males getting 9'+ and weighing in at over 100lbs, but most will never get that big only around 6' and 50lbs. I own a juvinal V. salvator that is only around 2' right now, had it for around 6months and got him as a small baby. The V. giganteus (perenti) is Australias largest monitor and can get 8'+ and can weigh over 40lbs. There is also V. salvadorii (Crocodile Monitor) which can get 9'+ and maybe even larger but has nowhere near the body mass of V. salvator or V. komodoensis because they are an arboreal monitor.