The oldest Theraphosa species you know ?

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
I want to have all Theraphosa species and want to know how old they "really" get.

I have now read many times that T stirmi lives only 12 years. I had one T. blondi but hooked out around 2years and I gave him away.
And I had a T apophysis for 7 years but unfortunately sold her, cause a breeder payed me a insanely high price.

So, how old is the oldest Theraphosa species you know of?

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
I want to have all Theraphosa species and want to know how old they "really" get.

I have now read many times that T stirmi lives only 12 years. I had one T. blondi but hooked out around 2years and I gave him away.
And I had a T apophysis for 7 years but unfortunately sold her, cause a breeder payed me a insanely high price.

I haven't had my therophosa more than a year, so I have no authority on the subject. However, I researched this species extensively before I got it, from what learned, it lifespan is similar to other Ts, expect your guys to live 5-6 years, your girls 15-21 years

matypants

Arachnopeon
A 43-year-old, female trapdoor (Gaius villosus) known as Number 16, died in 2016 because of a wasp sting. But they’re Aussie spiders so good luck acquiring one. Your next stop should be Grammostola porteri/rosea as they are known to live at least 30 years.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
A 43-year-old, female trapdoor (Gaius villosus) known as Number 16, died in 2016 because of a wasp sting. But they’re Aussie spiders so good luck acquiring one. Your next stop should be Grammostola porteri/rosea as they are known to live at least 30 years.
Theraphosa =/= theraphosidae

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
that’s so wild/cool!

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Really, has no one kept Theraphosa for a long time ? (or heard of?)

organgrinder79

Arachnopeon
I had a G.rosea for 21 years my first T got her at age of twelve for 15 bucks at a small pet store I have many going on ten years now

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
According to Stan Schultz, Theraphosa are "believed" to live up to 20 years from egg to death. There have been so many losses over the years due to bad molts and cysts, so that's probably why we simply don't hear of long-lived giants. Only in recent years did we finally figure out their "proper" husbandry. In the past, we always kept them way too wet, so that's surely a cause to a great deal of losses.

Eventually, I'd love to do my part with a stirmi, especially that now we have better methods for maintaining moisture in the substrate. We shall see.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I’m about to get an apophysis sling! I’ll report back when I’m a pensioner (hopefully!) :rofl:

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Only in recent years did we finally figure out their "proper" husbandry
T. apophysis is a very hardy species, did grown up from sling to a adult (7years+). Left her so many times alone for over 4 weeks. Never had a problem.
Water bowl, every few weeks pouring water on the substrate and everything is done.

On Saturday I will get my blondi, going to keep her the same way. (also my stirmi). I cant really remember my last dead T (maybe 2004 Omothymus violaceopes, the cause was stagnant air I suspect)

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T. apophysis is still waaaaaay too expensive here in Canada. I can't justify paying 250+ for an unsexed sling, and I'm not tossing 450+ for a sexed female. That's just too much. Stirmi is much, much more reasonably priced. 100$ for a 1.5" unsexed is a bit steep, but still more reasonable than the other Theraphosas.

Edit : Just checked the current prices. Currently, only T. apophysis is available. There are 1.5" unsexed slings for 275. There's a or several 2.5" sexed female(s) for 650 !!!!! Insane !

Last edited:

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Paid 80€ for 0.1 stirmi 3/4N and 0.1 blondi 5N 100€. And someone has a female apophysis with 2.5cm bodylength for 100€ ( i think will grab this one too, to complete the giants asap)

The prices in the US are insane!

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Paid 80€ for 0.1 stirmi 3/4N and 0.1 blondi 5N 100€. And someone has a female apophysis with 2.5cm bodylength for 100€ ( i think will grab this one too, to complete the giants asap)

The prices in the US are insane!
i am sorry to tell you but canada is not part of the US :troll:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

My faculty adviser had a B hamori that was over 28 yr old