The Name Game

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alright, you guys have to help. That G.Pulchra will be here soon enough, it's gonna need a name. Suggestions? Keep in mind that I won't know the gender, so whatever name is fine.
I was thinking Pele, since he used to be a big soccer star for the Brazillian team, and it's a Brazillian Black. I'm obviously new at this.
The Rookie

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I used to used gender specific names earlier on, but have since starting using other names that don't define a gender. A good example is my B. emilia which I named "Hush". Partly because I'm a big Deep Purple fan (Don't I sound dated) and secondly because of her soft and quiet demeanor.
Other non-specific names I use are "Piglet", "Fuzzy" and "Boo".
You could go with some of the more obvious choices like "Shadow", "Blackie","Nightmare", "Inky", or something else that would define her as a Brazilian Black.
Hope this helps.
By the way, My Brazilian Black is named "Velvet". I know this sounds like a gender specific name, but it was for how velvety soft she is. She is the most gentle tarantula I have ever had.

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Names..

How about Black Satin Sassy..if its a female.. Black Sabith,, Eclipse,,sootty eight legs or Midnight or chose something that fits its personality.. ;P ;P

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ahhh, gender specific naming. It works for a while, but I gave up on that a while ago.

I personally gave up trying to name my spiders. At any good point I had 35-40 spiders (including other true spiders), and I found it difficult (and worthless) to name them since I always forgot.

I think that a "nameless beast" leaves the viewer to decide it's character. I know, that sounds weird, but it adds an element of mystery. So I just call it "the red knee" or "the tiger rump", as does my girlfriend. You could always give it a number designation like "3 of 5" like the Borg do on Star Trek. I think that would be funny.

Anyway, some worthless advice from the reputed to be worthless Paul.

Pauly

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do name all of my spiders, especially since I seem to end up introducing my pets to a lot of non-spider people and taking them to classrooms, etc. Names seem to help break the ice for people who aren't used to or are afraid of spiders.

My ts are: Zaza, Diego, Viva, Europa, Caravaggio, Marawuti, Bane, Dread, Beowulf, Grendel, Prospero, Caliban, Poe, Dash(iell Hammett), Mondo, Komoku, Loki, Eris, Hermes, Coyote, and Raven. My millipedes are The Mighty Vegan Army, and my roaches are The Borg Collective. I have 6 ts that I'm still trying to figure out names for.

Spend a few days watching your t, the name will come to you. I get most of my names from literature because I'm a book junkie.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
my 7 year old daughter makes up most of our T names...consequently, they are unpronouncable, and you can't spell them either :)
However, there are a few of our Ts that I named, and our G pulchra was one of them. His name is Tarn. It's a Scottish word for 'black lake'. (I think anyway!)
Sometimes, the name will just come to you if you observe your T for a bit.

Just for grins, here are a few names that Shelby named our spiders:
Kalachay
Seculada
Alukatin
Morax
Stinky Funeral (vinegaroon)
Cadashio
Keski
Quishyfushia

you get the picture!

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by galeogirl

My millipedes are The Mighty Vegan Army...

Hi, galeogirl-

As a vegan myself, I think it's delightful that you've chosen that name.

Alukatin sounds like a pain reliever, Holley!

:}

Last edited:

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry. I stopped naming my T's after I got my 8th one. It made it so much easier for me just to know each one simply by their looks.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by johns

Alukatin sounds like a pain reliever, Holley!

:}
more like the bringer of pain LOL...
It's a L cristatus...and a stinker at that :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
As with Paul, I gave up on giving names to everything once our collection topped a few dozen. Concequently, everyone has a designation. The juvenile B.vagans, for example, all have "J" followed by the number. J1, J2 ... J15. Some sort of spontaneously develop names, though. The single mature female was originaly given just her sex. Later, however, she got the name "Big Mama Red Rump" (courtesy of Tamara). Other Ts have picked up names as well. My first T -- a female G.rosea is named "Mary Jane." The second T, a male G.rosea, is named "Peter." I also named my most recent G.rosea "Rosalia" Tamara has a P.regalis named "Big Mama" and a pink toe named "Tanooki." My big Costa-rican zebra picked up the name "Fluffy."

On the scorpion side, I had four H.spinifer: Mr. T., Isabella, Tank and Madame Hortense -- only the last two are still with me. My C.gracilis picked up the name "Mr. Pinchy." Other than that, the rest are unnamed.

Cheers,
Dave

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Names..:)

Hi all..:)

Well,,I have named my biggest one , the 7' chaco to "Mary":D

She's big and sweet..:) ( her fangs are impressive though)

Kenny

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,
I've named my spiders (5), all but one are dutch names, so I won't bore you with that ones. The one that you will understand is: Will Smithi, for one of my (2) B. smithi's...:D
greetz,
Joost

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a helpful crew

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. Keep in mind I'm an excited first-timer, so I simply HAVE to name it. I'm still unsure, but I appreciate the suggestions. Keep em coming.
Man:confused: , this naming is giving me a headache; I'm gonna grab some Alukatin, and take a nap.
The Rookie

p.s. I laughed a lot at 'Stinky Funeral', Holley.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Re: a helpful crew

Originally posted by Rookie
I'm gonna grab some Alukatin, and take a nap.
The Rookie

p.s. I laughed a lot at 'Stinky Funeral', Holley.
ahahaha!!! I will tell Shelby her name means 'Painkiller' :)
And Rookie, I'm *still* laughing about Stinky Funeral!

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just don't think you can go wrong by naming all your inverts, "Yolanda":p

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
http://www.freewaresite.com/onldict/fre.html

I go to this page - it translates into a bunch of different languages - great for name ideas. Example - I looked up "hairy" and found out that in French it is "velu" - wah la, I had a name for my newest curly hair!

Gail

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Funny Names!!!

;P ;P =D :D Wow i forgot that i got some good ones,, Blow Me Jane and C#nt face,, are some of my giant white knees . Prickly A** and Camel Breath are my Rio grand golds and Fire in the hole, is one of my green bottle blues , Taco my chaco golden knee, and well the beast Devil in a blue dress, shes my cobalt blue that likes to rip your face off. Irratation my cheveron ,.Cruzz2u-1 and Cruzz2u-2, Leggy Lizzy, Cow Pie, Wicked Wench and many more.. my list would be to big ,, hehehehehe!!! ;P ;P ;P =D

Last edited:

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its Name

Hi,
OKay, I know a lot of you probably don't care, but I've decided on a name for my first s'ling. I figured since it comes from Brazil, I thought I'd name it Peso (pronounced pay-so) after the currency of Mexico and such Southerly places. Of course, the currency of Brazil isn't the Peso, as I found out last night, but the s'ling has its name, so it's too late to change it. Anyway, Peso, there you have it. Thought I'd let you guys know.
The Rookie

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
My chilean rose is called Itchy. She had me scratching for weeks. lol.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im with paul on this one also........when i first got my spider (G. rosea) i named it rosie (unisex name short for rosemary, roosevelt)........then i just decided the heck with the name...its not like a cat or a dog where a name has some use....(the spider isnt going to respond to any names).....most of the time i call it "my spider", "the spider", rosehair, G. rosea...........so there is my $0.02....
by the way i guess after this week when Holly hooks me up i cant refer to my G. rosea as "the spider" or "my spider" in singular tense anymore since i will have several spiders from then on....