The MOST tiny sling EVER

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
So with my mystery sling box I got what is, the tiniest sling I've ever seen/had. It's TINY. It doesn't help that it's a Hapalopus sp. "Colombia", which is a dwarf species (AFAIK?)

Either way, it's about the same size as the very small crickets I bought for slings. Would it be okay to feed it a cricket that's basically its size or should I be killing them first? The sling is in a 4oz pot atm.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
They'll scavenge so I'd try prekilled first.

My first and only sling is/was a 1/2" versi and I thought it was small. Lately I've seen Petco carrying some amazingly small slings as well. Puts things in perspective.

Is there a spider in that picture?!

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
They'll scavenge so I'd try prekilled first.

My first and only sling is/was a 1/2" versi and I thought it was small. Lately I've seen Petco carrying some amazingly small slings as well. Puts things in perspective.

Is there a spider in that picture?!
I'll give it a try in a couple days when it settles. It's already burrowed itself in the tiniest cutest burrow too! And yes, there's a spider in that picture. It's right at the top in the middle!

user 666

Arachnobaron
They are tiny, aren't they?

I have a Pumpkin Patch, and when I feed it I usually half-kill the cricket. It's still twitching but it's gonna die.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Or a C. argentinense ;)

But these things are voracious eaters. Offer prekilled, but they have no qualms about taking down prey their own size.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Good Gawd that's tiny! Is that even an eighth of an inch? So tiny, that condiment cup looks like a mansion.
Feeding, other than prekilled crickets, maybe buy a little tub of small mealworms, cut them in half and let it scavenge

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So with my mystery sling box I got what is, the tiniest sling I've ever seen/had. It's TINY. It doesn't help that it's a Hapalopus sp. "Colombia", which is a dwarf species (AFAIK?)

Either way, it's about the same size as the very small crickets I bought for slings. Would it be okay to feed it a cricket that's basically its size or should I be killing them first? The sling is in a 4oz pot atm.

A few things. I would put that T in a small container, like a Thornton vial if you have them there, the feeding will go easier.

Now the good news is this locality will eat items larger than itself. It's a ferocious attacker. I have access to pinhead crickets, so I've never scavenged fed these, but you can try it. They respond to movement better than most at its current size.

Do you own the small or the large locality, there is sp Colum. Large, and sp Colum. Small. They look almost identical to the untrained eye. The somewhat ellipse shaped orange markings on the dorsal side of abdomen are connected in the small locality, and not in the large if I recall correctly.

In either case, you can raise them the same etc. Both grow exceedingly fast, and are truly ferocious eaters.

I've never seen a T of any size take on such large prey items CONSISTENTLY like these 2 localities do. They will tackle and hold their cricket while upside down on their dorsal side.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try a 1/8" Cyriocosmus elegans sling!
My H. sp Columbia Small was less than that by a bit, I swear I was lucky to even see it, even with its ORANGE back. Thank god it ate like a champ and wasn't like my E sp Reds haha.

cold blood

Staff member
I have to chuckle, because from what I've seen, that's not even a super tiny one...lol.

My first experience with PP slings was at a pet store where the owner took me downstairs to see some new ts, one of which was a PP that had just hatched out a sac and had teensy 2i slings in it...but I couldn't see them. He had one in a condiment cup to show me, the exchange went like this;

gary: Here's a little pumpkin patch.

me: where??

gary: right there

me: huh, where, I don't see anything.

gary: right there, pointing to what I thought was a speck of substrate.

me: I still don't see it...oh wait, oh geez, I didn't even see that or recognize that as a spider.

There is no way on earth that I would even take a free 2i PP sling...hells no, just too small for my aging eyeballs.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A few things. I would put that T in a small container, like a Thornton vial if you have them there, the feeding will go easier.

Now the good news is this locality will eat items larger than itself. It's a ferocious attacker. I have access to pinhead crickets, so I've never scavenged fed these, but you can try it. They respond to movement better than most at its current size.

Do you own the small or the large locality, there is sp Colum. Large, and sp Colum. Small. They look almost identical to the untrained eye. The somewhat ellipse shaped orange markings on the dorsal side of abdomen are connected in the small locality, and not in the large if I recall correctly.

In either case, you can raise them the same etc. Both grow exceedingly fast, and are truly ferocious eaters.

I've never seen a T of any size take on such large prey items CONSISTENTLY like these 2 localities do. They will tackle and hold their cricket while upside down on their dorsal side.
Man I love your passion for dwarf Theraphosidae... you are like a Sommelier depicting Italian old red wines at class restaurants :-s

"Nice selection of dwarfes..." Gary Coleman (R.I.P) included u_u

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man I love your passion for dwarf Theraphosidae... you are like a Sommelier depicting Italian old red wines at class restaurants :-s

"Nice selection of dwarfes..." Gary Coleman (R.I.P) included u_u
I like dwarf Ts for a lot of reasons. Thanks!

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Currently have a euathlus sp red sling (avatar) he is so ridiculous. Currently munching on a cricket drumstick. Only a year to go for a decent size :)

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
These are fun. I pinch the head of a roach nymph. The wiggling legs attract it. But it will attack bigger than themselves. It rode around like a rodeo cowboy on that hisser! It has molted once a month and doubled in size each time.

cold blood

Staff member
molted once a month and doubled in size each time.
So it goes from a speck, to a slightly larger speck......Doubling in size is impressive, unless you're doubling something soooo small, that doubling it makes little difference. Its like doubling .0001:rofl:

I kid of course.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I keep mine in a HL display case which was originally made to hold a small car. it is a lot bigger than the T needs but it will grow into it eventually.

Attachments

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
I keep mine in a HL display case which was originally made to hold a small car. it is a lot bigger than the T needs but it will grow into it eventually.
Going with a 16 oz deli for my half inch sling to grow into. Hoping he webs the crap out of it.