The hand that rocks the cradle

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok getting my new slings around 3 cm each this week.

So i need some info, what size enclosure do they need? how am i gonna keep the at the right temp? and what and how often do i need these little babies?

ok i was thinking of sticking them in the airing cuboard wheres it nice warm, also i heard people feed them cricket legs? the man at my local pet store said he finds the smallest baby crickets he can find and feeds them that, which would be annoying to try and catch one lol

anyone can you please tell me how to make sure i give these babies the best chance i can :D

they will be a curly hair(B. albopilosa) and a sun tiger (P. Irminia) thanks :D

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
we keep our slings in tiny litte tupperware containers. (the ones for one serving of vegies)

as for feeding, we use pinhead crickets. I keep them in a jar and use a kabob stick to get them out. Just stick the end of it in there with them, and slowly swirl it around, a couple will grab on to the stick, then I shake them off into the sling's enclosure.

Ali

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by alidpayne
we keep our slings in tiny litte tupperware containers. (the ones for one serving of vegies)

as for feeding, we use pinhead crickets. I keep them in a jar and use a kabob stick to get them out. Just stick the end of it in there with them, and slowly swirl it around, a couple will grab on to the stick, then I shake them off into the sling's enclosure.

Ali
where do you keep the tupperware cotainers???

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We have a bookshelf in our living room where we keep all our T's. We have some more slings coming tommarrow though, so I am going to get one of those 3 drawer plastic chests from the dollar store and put some substrate in the drawers and put all the slings in there. Someone else here uses that setup (see the "look at my bug room" thread) and it looks like a wonderful setup to me.

Ali

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by alidpayne
We have a bookshelf in our living room where we keep all our T's. We have some more slings coming tommarrow though, so I am going to get one of those 3 drawer plastic chests from the dollar store and put some substrate in the drawers and put all the slings in there. Someone else here uses that setup (see the "look at my bug room" thread) and it looks like a wonderful setup to me.

Ali
oh right ok thanks, problem is its quite cold here( Wales you know! lol) so i think ill have to keep them on a self in the airing cuboard until they can have a heat matt of thier own

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grael.
I keep my slings in small plastic food containers and then stack them in a wooden vivarium with a heatmat on the back,that way you can keep quite a few with one source of heat.There is a pic on the website below. You could do the same with a larger tank and a heatmat if you wanted to.

You shouldnt have trouble getting crix of the right size.

Chid

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Cheaper the better...

I use the really small ziplok storage bowls with the top cut out and a piece of mesh hot-glued in its place for my terrestrials. I use spice bottles for my arboreals (I get a set of six spice bottles with the wooden rack and all for $4 at Wal-Mart, just throw away/recycle the wooden rack). I place all of them in an aquarium that has a heat pad on the bottom. Heat a larger container and place all of your smaller containers inside it (similar thing that Chid is doing).

Attachments

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Rob, how big are these holes in the spice bottles? Maybe it's the way they look in the pic, but they seem just about big enough for tiny slings to escape from. :confused:

Bry

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
You're right...

The holes were big enough so I put fine mesh cloth (pantyhose) under the lids when I snapped them on so the slings could not escape. You can see the pieces of cloth here and there in the photo. Very perceptive of you.;)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
As far as feeding, I get "pinheads" for mine. They are newborn crix. Or, my petshop guy also has these little wingless flies that are good also.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cool thanks rob i might stick them in my big tank where i keep novas crickets for now, stick a heat matt in there, the crickets should be fine with the extra heat shouldnt they? and the slings wont mind the crickets living in the same tank as them?