The H. gigas Project.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Holy molt batman!

Came home from work today to find subject A looking like this..

This gives me some time of officially 'not messing with her' to finish up the tank - I'll be posting more of it this evening with luck.

Bill

Attachments

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the molt. You have a gorgeus darling there.

About your tank.
The problem with substrat in the water and I was also wandering about how the T can easly get out of the water with it's kill.

You've prolly already thought about this but I was wondering if a tilted ramp would work.
Set onto the divider and roughed on the top for the T to grip getting in and out.
Tilting it down a bit into the water can give the T a ledge to grip and the upper tip can be maybe a half an inch to an inch over the substrat, creating a block that the T can easly get over.

Anyway, before I blather too much.

Heres a simple sketch of it.

Hope this might help.

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
That's a pretty good idea, although it doesn't really work with the way I have the divider set up... However, I was thinking about this last night, and this is what I finally settled on, if you get the idea.. I still have to find the right rock.:

Bill

Attachments

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
Try flagstone. I used some in my H. arizonensis tank. If you're very careful and, use a light touch, you can break flagstone both horizontally and, vertically. It may break into several pieces, but perhaps silicone would help.
Peace,
Gillian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Part III the tank divider -

This was the chore of the process, and one that took a little effort. I knew I wanted about 2/3's of it fixed in place, and the rest removable, and that was about all. I devised a pretty simple method of making the removable portion of the divider, and this is what I ended up with:

First, I cut four strips approx 1 inch by 4 inches, which will serve as my brackets. I also cut the top half of the divider, keeping the width just under the distance between the lips of the lid rest on the top (see further down to see what I mean)

Then, I found some very small and very thin pieces of clear plastic to use as shims on both pieces (so that I can slide the piece in and out of the brackets with ease, but still keep it in place and snug)

I assembled these so that both of my shims were on the same side of the fixed bottom piece, and the bracket pieces were halfways onto the fixed portion. I clamped them into place and adjusted them so they lined up to my satisfaction.

Next, I fit it into place, and made sure that the removable portion slid easily in and out.

Once satisfied with the placement, I began the very unfun part of siliconing it into place. The fumes from this aquarium silicon I bought were pretty harsh, too. I tried to be steady and precise in my siliconing, but the tube was really stiff and difficult to squeeze. I'd use a caulking gun if I did this over. I put it on pretty thick, to be sure it wasn't going anywhere.

I left it to dry overnight, with the clamps in place.

This afternoon, I removed the clamps and tested the strength of the joints out. They all seem to be very stiff and secure.

Next, I put the lid back on, and gave it a test run. Everything seems to fit up well.

Now, the tank is complete. I am waiting one more day for the silicon to cure (per the instructions on the tube) and tommorrow night I will clean everything up, and add the soil and water, to check for leaks and stability. In a few days, I will add the fish, and measure the humidity and temperature until I am satisfied with it. The final section of this post will be the newly housed (and recently molted) H. gigas, "Subject A". As well as a few unlucky feeder fish, if all goes to plan. ;)

Bill

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oooooo, Nifty doodles.
Looking Great. :)

Ya know. I'm Gonna have to try that...

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After your project is finish, what kind of fish are you going to use to feed your Gigas?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraphosa
After your project is finish, what kind of fish are you going to use to feed your Gigas?
Jury is still out on that one.. alot of people have told me they've fed feeder goldfish to terrestrials (flopping about the substrate) and had no mishaps with them. However, I hear about chemicals used to keep them alive, that could be potentially bad for T's, so right now I'm basically looking into finding a really reputable source for them. Why?, do you have any suggestions?

The goal is cheap, active, and hardy. Hardiness isn't such an issue if they are cheap though.

Bill

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
wow bill, great set up...i have to say i'm impressed.

i think it looks great! as does your h. gigas! what a difference a moult makes!

about the fish--i've fed my b. boehmei fish twice sucessfully. both were feeder goldfish from a tank that had hundreds of other goldfish swimming around in it. and there are chemicals used on the fish (to keep them free of parasites, to prevent dying if another fish is diseased, "vitamin" drops, etc...) that you have to watch out for. however, i think it will be hard to find an untreated fish. perhaps the chance of poisoning lessens if your h. gigas isn't solely (pardon the pun) on fish.

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry, I don't have any suggestions. I've never thought fishes could have bad chemicals to Ts. Well, good luck on your project and take a lot of pictures....

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
About the bad chemicals, some fish stores put in some kind of enzyme to help the fish deal with the stress of being transported from place to place. I have no idea if this chemical is harmful to tarantulas or not.

Bill, I am sitting here with my mouth wide openned in amazement. Krystal is right. You are both sexy and skillful in many ways.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stupid question.
Yes I am full of them...

If you put the fish into clean water and let them swim a few days.
Won't that leach out a good many chemicals?
Sit a few gallons out to allow the chlorene to dissipate from the water or buy bottled water without.
Put the fish in a "holding" tank and let them swim away some of the store chemicals for a day or two before introducing them to your gigas.
I'd ask about this method of chemical removal or reduction.
I Know I read about it someplace at sometime.
Stuck in my head and thought I would toss it here.
Anyway.

Time for me to shut up.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
nixy's idea of letting the fish "swim it off" is far better than any other ideas i would've come up with to "remove" fish chemicals. (puts down duct tape and blow torch)

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Now I guess this is a very stupid question ...

But doesn't the enclosure need some kind of ventilation??

Dennis

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Oh, one more thing - I'll be maintaining the substrate and fish without the T for a while, and measuring humidity. I'll be drilling holes in the lid as needed, and will be adding the H. gigas only after I am satisfied with the humidity level.

Bill
all in good time, dear dennie. all in good time.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
(puts down duct tape and blow torch)
Oh,,, you can use those on fish?
See here I thought those were for foreplay only..............

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Nixy - I'm not sure about the enzymes like Lam mentioned, I don't know if they will just 'come off' or if they are in the fishes blood stream. Still, I've seen those tanks they keep feeder fish in, and you're absolutely right. It sure couldn't hurt to 'rinse them out' before officially putting them in the tank with the T. I'll do just that, thanks.

Bill

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, secretive is ok by me. That's the nature of them, anyways. As long as I see a few less fish in the morning one of these days, I'll be ecstatic :)

Bill

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you plan to just feed it fish? Cause if you want to give it crickets, they will most probably fall in the water.....
What about cutting another screen to place over the water when feeding it crickets??