The Gotta's

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've found that helping someone else pick out T's gets Me into trouble...
Especialy if the twins are with me watching and looking at pics too. LOL.
Anyway.
Figured I would just post my list of the lastest in drool worthies.
See if anyone had comments on that particulare species or experience. Some are rather known. But thats ok. Still like to hear feedback.

:)

~*~*~
----Terestrials----
Lasiodora cristatus
Brachypelma ruhnaui
Brachypelma klaasi
Megaphobema robustum
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Aphonopelma sp. (Flagstaff Orange)
Megaphobema robustum
Aphonopelma bicoloratum
Grammostola aureostriata
Haplopelma lividum
Acanthoscurria geniculata

----Aboreals----
Avicularia metalica
Avicularia aurantiaca
Avicularia urticans
Avicularia braunshauseni
Avicularia purpurea
Avicularia geroldi
Psalmopoeus irminia
Psalmopoeus pulcher

~*~*~*~

Heh...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, you asked for our opinions ;)

----Terrestrials----
Lasiodora cristatus Very interesting looking T, but not a very good attitude. Not on my target list for a combination of their attitude and the fact that I find their look too garrish.

Brachypelma ruhnaui Unique looking Brachypelma but very pricey as slings right now. I've got one but don't know that I'd recommend them unless "overpaying" doesn't concern you. Now that they're getting more established in the U.S. the price will drop in all likelihood to that of other desired Brachys within a few years.

Brachypelma klaasi Another overpriced Brachy imo. Rather get a boehmi than one of these. All Brachys are similar in terms of care/attitude so looks are why you diversify and this one doesn't have enough going for it in my book to justify it.

Megaphobema robustum Very striking but not very appealing to me. They're too much like a giant Brachy in appearance to justify their cost, greater care requirements, and poorer attitude.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens The most overrated T in the hobby but affordably priced so give it a try if you want. I'm probably going to trade mine off as soon as I can sex it definitively. The look is unique but garrish, and while I loved it as a sling, its adult coloration and attitude just don't do it for me.

Aphonopelma sp. (Flagstaff Orange) A great looking Aphonopelma with all their good points, but, hard to find as adults and slings are slow growing. I've been raising a couple for almost a year now - they were 1/4" when I started and they're now up to a whopping 3/4".

Aphonopelma bicoloratum A perfect combination of looks and hardiness. Looks almost as good as B. boehmi without the hair flickiness. Plus, there's tons of "captive bred" adults currently available at good prices (they're as captive bred as the snapping turtle in the creek by me, but since somebody went to the trouble to smuggle them to Europe and then resell them to the U.S. with faked papers, might as well give them a good home).

Grammostola aureostriata A favorite of mine. They look great as adults, probably the nicest looking of the Grammostola except maybe pulchra, and are available at decent prices for WC adults and are becoming very available as slings as well. A reasonably fast growing Grammostola is another plus.

Haplopelma lividum Burrower with a bad attitude, people can keep theirs.

Acanthoscurria geniculata Everyone should have a couple of these. Cheap, easy to care for as a rock, great looking, fast growing, good display habits, never pass up a meal, and just a kickass species.

----Aboreals----
Avicularia metalica One of the next Ts I'm getting. Very typical Avic attitude and gets large and very hairy, what's not to love?

Avicularia aurantiaca Nice looking as juveniles, but I'd rather sink the money into an A. minatrix if what I want is the striping past juvenile.

Avicularia urticans One of the more unique looking Avics, but I still like hurriana better in the 'brown Avic' category.

Avicularia braunshauseni Don't see the point of this one. Looks just like a giant A. avicularia but with a snippier attitude. Size has never impressed me much with Ts.

Avicularia purpurea One of the most unique looking Ts, who doesn't want a big, purple spider? It was on my "gotta" list for a while until I got one; here's hoping it survives into adulthood.

Avicularia geroldi Doesn't really have a thing going for it that plain old A. avicularia doesn't have. I'd only get one of these if I were obsessed with collecting Avics.

Psalmopoeus irminia Another of the more striking looking Ts but if I were going to get a fast, defensive arboreal I'd rather have a pokie or a Hetmac. They just don't appeal to me enough to put up with their more difficult attitude/habit.

Psalmopoeus pulcher Similar opinion as I have of the P. irminia except that I don't see their appearance as anything special at all. If I were going to have a Psalmopoeus, irminia would be the only one.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nixy, i hear ya on that one...i sorta brought my friend into the hobby of tarantula's because he was there with me when i bought all of mine and stuff, and he asked me what a good beginners specie would be to get for him...so we were looking at pics and i showed him a pic of a B. smithi and he said he was prolly gonna get that one...but then after that i began thinking, "man i really want a b. smithi now!"....now i'm saving up for one of those!

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Code.
:D
I actualy love the Garrish looks of a good many T's.
I used to custom paint cars for a living so.
I guess I really love those striking contrasts that just Scream.
And I admit to being atracted to eye popping Tank terestrials.
I want to get a few good deep burrowers because I have so many burrow ideas. They need a place to be used. Why not have a T that will use them. Attitude and docility isn't a matter in some of them. We have our "handlers" and our none handlers.And I have room for a big collection and my twins are getting deeper and deeper into this hobby. They learn respect, responsability and gads. there is So much you can pump into a kids head educationaly using these critters.
I Am a color nut but some I love just for the Shape of them.
Like the Psalmopoeus. I love our cambridgi. She is strikingly graceful and fluid. Just Sleek. It's not color with this species that hits me but the body line.
I love avics for their charm, fuzzy cuteness and sweet attitude. Even the nippy ones. And I have this thing about sets....
As much as I love striking contrasts and wild variatins.
I also like the subtle differences between critters in the same geneus.
Thanks for the overview hon. Much much apreciated.
And Static.
Yep yep.
The more I help Ellie pic out her next little one. The more I see and go " OOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! I GOTTA have one of those!"