The FOG! AHHHHHH!!!

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where I live there are tons of mosquitoes. We all hate them, I even go as far as to feed my betta mosquito larvae. How cruel, I know.

My city loves to randomly fog for mosquitoes, and with all the extra rain we've been getting, I'm sure the fogging will start soon. The buggers are starting to appear already in swarming numbers thanks to the hot, humid weather we've been having.

Does mosquito fog pose a threat to my Ts? I always have the windows open, and I live on the second floor. Hopefully someone has some information on this. thanks.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my T's and scorps outside most the year, the bug man goes by all the time and i've never had any problems. Ever since DDT im pretty sure all those pesticides they spray out must meet strict guidelines, imagine the effect killing off the local spider population would have on an ecosystem!

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Usually when they spray for skeeters lots of bumble bees die around here... so I don't know how specific the chemicals are. But I do agree that after fogging all the spiders are still around, but then again, this is their natural habitat, and they could have built up resistance over the years.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My limited understanding about the pesticides they use is that they affect the way an insect breaths... they target the spiricles (spelling?) and close them. Spiders breath differently, and so aren't as easily affected.

That being said, I'm not very confident of that answer... it's just being pulled out of the depths of my memory. I wouldn't risk $50,000 on it ... probably only the $25,000 question.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would keep your T's in a room with the window closed, not worth taking a chance.

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah.. you try being downwind from that fog stuff. it wont be a good feeling.

we have a lot of flies around our backyard patio and my mom popped off one of those insect fog things right under them not knowing i was around the corner trimming a bush.. and being downwind, that stuff made me cough, gave me a headache and just irritated the shti outa my eyes.

now, imagine that stuff flowing through your window and lingering in your T rooms air. i too wouldnt take a risk.

just try closing the window? haha idk.