the dumbest thing...

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done to/with one of your spiders?I'm not asking to have a good laugh or something, I just want to learn from other peoples mistakes.

I guess the dumbest thing I ever did is, to give my rosea a big mouse...

What's yours?

Ðennis

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hmmm....

well the dumbest thing that i did with my spiders is, when i recieved my 3 little curlyhairs, i put all 3 of them into the same petpal with large crickets! They ate, and did not eat each other thank god! I didnt know any better untill my dad told me that they would eat eachother!

JAmes

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The dumbest thing I ever did was to put a T into a rather large wood and hardware cloth cage designed to hold guinea pigs. This would be how I wound up with a Haitian brown running around my parent's home for about 3 months or so when I was a kid.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine's not exciting, but if you're lookin to learn...

My first Ts were rosies. I got the first one when I was in the 5th grade. Mistakes: 1) kept it in fish gravel 2) left cricks in tank 3) sponge in water dish 4) large sharp rock in tank 5) no hide at all 6) non-locking screen lid which resulted in kitty eating my baby while I was visiting family.

Thank god I learned from all that...I'm much older and (slightly) more mature now, so I read heavily about Ts in general and the ones I was specifically interested in owning. You may have noticed that I also ask a lot of questions LoL Not gonna lose another T if I can help it.

N.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
huh?

Okay brand new...we had T's but they were my HUSBANDS. I basically did nothing with/for them. No sponge? we always had sponge...he even used Cotton balls.
Teach me quick :)...my kid and I are getting one this week.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No sponge? we always had sponge...he even used Cotton balls.
sponges are bacteria/fungus heaven. want proof? wet a sponge and set it out for a night or two. than come back and put some listerine or peroxide on it. cotton balls are just as bad if not worse. also they make a perfect place for gravid crickets to lay eggs, possibly setting your t up for a bunch of small annoyances. what you want (assuming you get a sub or adult t) is a shallow open water dish. or if you find yourself with the problem of drowning crickets (i have) put some fish gravel in the dish. if you get a spiderling, just keep the substrate damp, slings drink from the substrate. hope this helped.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Mine's not exciting, but if you're lookin to learn...

My first Ts were rosies. I got the first one when I was in the 5th grade. Mistakes: 1) kept it in fish gravel 2) left cricks in tank 3) sponge in water dish 4) large sharp rock in tank 5) no hide at all .

N.
Wow, Thats my dumbest thing also.
I used cotton balls in the water. And no sharp rocks.
I think back on that setup and wonder, what was I thinking. At the time the only info. i cound get was from books. I thought I was a T-master. My rosea lived a long time like that. I feel really bad about it. :(

Oh yes, I also bred a Mexican blonde with her. They did it.

Ernie

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The dumbest thing that I ever did with any of my ts, was to use my fingers to brush the hind legs of my geniculata to get it to move. It always worked for my other ts, and it worked for him for quite a while, as I got it as a s'ling. However, once it hit the juvie stage, I guess it wasn't a good idea anymore. When I brushed her legs the last time, she did a corkscred backflip and attacked my hand. This happened so quick, that I couldn't move my hand. Luckily for me, I guess she realized that I wasn't food, and pulled back before her fangs hit my hand. You should have heard the noise that I made when that happened. It freaked my roomate out sure enough -- the sound I made.

All's well, ends well.

Jon

=D

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I put a 3/4" C. crawshayi into a 5 gallon aquarium with 4 inches of peat, and a top that did not fit perfectly on.....well i only saw it the day that i got it, and i spent over an hour sifting through the peat looking for it the next day, but it was gone! sorry that is not the most exciting story.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The dumbest thing I ever did was try to get my emperor scorpion to sting me. I was just curious about what it would feel like.

But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to sting me. Oh well. I guess that's probably not a bad thing.

I also continue to handle my T. blondi. That's not necessarily stupid, but it isn't very smart.

And I once used my bare hands to remove an uneaten cricket from my G. rosea's tank. It scare the hell out of me when she jumped onto my hand.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also continue to handle my T. blondi. That's not necessarily stupid, but it isn't very smart.
you handle your T. blondi?? how big is it? it doesnt throw a fit?

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
you handle your T. blondi?? how big is it? it doesnt throw a fit?
It's still pretty small. Just over four inches, it looks like.

It throws a fit, but only until while I'm trying to get it onto my hand. Once I get it onto my hand, I just let it walk around.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Wow, Thats my dumbest thing also.
I used cotton balls in the water. And no sharp rocks.
I think back on that setup and wonder, what was I thinking. At the time the only info. i cound get was from books. I thought I was a T-master. My rosea lived a long time like that. I feel really bad about it. :(

Oh yes, I also bred a Mexican blonde with her. They did it.

Ernie
Well, that makes me feel better! What came of the mutts from the blonde/rosea experiment? I often wondered if I could make a prettier spider by cross breeding, but I wouldn't want those to get out into the hobby, and certainly couldn't kill all but one...Oh well, guess it's one of those "you should know better" situations.

N.