the cicada's are coming!!!.......

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone i was woundering with the cicada's coming, there are going to be a huge amount in my area and i was woundering if they would make a good food source for t's? Does anyone know? It was just a thought.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
invadermike said:
Hey everyone i was woundering with the cicada's coming, there are going to be a huge amount in my area and i was woundering if they would make a good food source for t's? Does anyone know? It was just a thought.
Yes they will make great T food, however there are some things you will need to take into consideration...this has already been gone over. Do a search.

Later,

Jake

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Check out the insects and other invertebrates forum here. Weve got a couple of good threads going

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I'll jump on this thread cause its almost empty. Ive been feeding my Ts cicadas for a week now .. no problems. I just cant wait til these noisy , pesty , pain in the butt bugs do their thing and die ! It is cool to hear them chip as they get slammed !

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Haven't seen or heard of any of the Cicadas here in S. Jersey yet. I was hoping to see some and feed them to our various animals here. I remember them from before. In the Balto. MD area they were abundant yrs ago. My husband remembers his family's pet squirels loving them. My dog probably will. For some reason he enjoys eating hornets and yellow jackets so I am sure he will eat these if they show up.

Sharon

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
According to the charts linked to in the other threads, I should be sitting knee deep in cicadas by now. I haven't seen or heard any so far.

Jeri

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Jeri said:
According to the charts linked to in the other threads, I should be sitting knee deep in cicadas by now. I haven't seen or heard any so far.

Jeri
Head over to Hamilton Ohio, north of Cincinnati, and you'll be knee deep in the little critters:D

It was hilarious at work today... we were having a funeral service at a cemetery, and the widow refused to leave her car and go to the graveside because she was afraid of all the cicadas flying around, LOL! After 10 minutes her kids finally convinced her to get out of the car, but at the graveside a cicada flew up her skirt, and she ran screaming back to her car. Her kids were laughing their butts off :)

OK, I know being that it was a funeral it shouldn't have been funny, but even the widow was laughing by the time the funeral was finally over :D

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Dam it. here I fluff
Thats is one most kick A*** pic sansoucie, is it yours?
T

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sansoucie, are you feeding them to your T's? If so, do they seem to like them? I am still waiting for Northeast PA to get them.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I fed my B. Smithi (2.5 - 3") a cicada (2" big one) yesterday. It actually put up a pretty good fight. It gave the T two right jabs and kept the T away for a couple seconds. The T then fanged it, flipped it on its back, and then ran back to its hide to wait for the cicada to die. She likes to fang her food, back off, fang it again, and sometimes throw it into things. Mean little bugger.

I don't know how long it took for the T to eat the cicada, but it was only half done after an hour and a half. I went to check on the T to see if there was any cicada left when I got home last night and like an idiot picked the KK up by its handle :8o and next thing I know there is Peat Moss and a pissed off B. Smithi on my floor. Didn't see any cicada remains, but I was kind of preoccupied with getting her home set back up.

I'll try feeding her another one today, but she may still be PO'd at me.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Think it was Stan the man who recommend removing all kritter keeper type handles the day you rbring them home
T

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have never fed them to my t's . They're ugly and I am unreasonably afraid of them! LOL! I DO think the Cancerides would LOVE it, though. When they come this year I will try it with her. I got the meal worms for them, but the Ts were,t interested... :( Maybe they need more feisty prey like a big fat cicada :)

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
monantony said:
Think it was Stan the man who recommend removing all kritter keeper type handles the day you rbring them home
T
Sound advise indeed.

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
We have cidadas swarming around the funeral home where I work today, and I just had to get some pics, lol! For some reason they are all bunching up on the west side of the building and right in front of the garage.

Last edited:

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, but are you being dive bombed or have you been beaned in the head yet? {D

K MUELLER

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:} Yeah, they made it to Virginia!!!! I tried feeding them to my T's, the only taker was my GBB, all the rest didn't make a move to eat them, must be spoiled!!! Later-Karl

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
sansoucie said:
Yeah, but are you being dive bombed or have you been beaned in the head yet? {D
As a matter of fact I have! LOL! See the door to the right in the first pic? That is the door we use to carry flowers out of the chapel so we can load them in the van. After every funeral we had this week, I have had to load up the flowers, and then spend 10 minutes in the bathroom picking cicadas out of my hair! LOL!

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Ewww-nasty! Looks like a scene from an insect horror movie. Something about swarming things with 6 legs and wings just gives me the creeps. How long do these things normally stick around before they die off?