The Churping!!!!!

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those gosh darned Crickets won't shut up! Is there a way to keep them quiet w/o killing them and or moving them?

Last edited:

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you cool them down they'll hibernate....other than that...rip their wings off??? I dunno...

N.

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can't rip all their wing's off, I guess i'll have to buy some dry ice:?

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds all Jungle like....heeheehee

Actually, I sorta like the muted chirping in the background in my invert room...it sounds sorta jungle-like in a way...all that is missing is the "ooh-ooh-ahh-ahh" monkey sounds....and when I lay down with my eyes closed I can pretend that I am out camping or something...heehehehehh

:} The Spider Hunter

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: Sounds all Jungle like....heeheehee

Originally posted by Spider Hunter
Actually, I sorta like the muted chirping in the background in my invert room...it sounds sorta jungle-like in a way...all that is missing is the "ooh-ooh-ahh-ahh" monkey sounds....and when I lay down with my eyes closed I can pretend that I am out camping or something...heehehehehh

:} The Spider Hunter
Personally, I hate camping......and crickets.

N.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I used to have a cricket colony in my dorm room. The guy next door to me complained sometimes, but I actually never noticed the churpings. Just bring the crix into your room and sleep with them for one nite. You won't even notice them after the first nite.

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Re: Sounds all Jungle like....heeheehee

Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Personally, I hate camping......and crickets.

N.

Hell yea

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ROTFLMAO!

I just got a newfangled phone that can play sampled sounds (like voices, sound effects, etc) and one of the ringers I can select is a cricket chirp!

Can you imagine? I'd NEVER know when my phone was ringing! I tried it out and sure enough, it sounded just like crickets. I've tuned those out so much I might be driving in the car and not hear the damned thing ring! :D

bill

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How dare you! I want one... I have a very loud bird clock.. every hour it makes a different bird chirp :D

Originally posted by invertepet
ROTFLMAO!

I just got a newfangled phone that can play sampled sounds (like voices, sound effects, etc) and one of the ringers I can select is a cricket chirp!

Can you imagine? I'd NEVER know when my phone was ringing! I tried it out and sure enough, it sounded just like crickets. I've tuned those out so much I might be driving in the car and not hear the damned thing ring! :D

bill

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Raveness
How dare you! I want one... I have a very loud bird clock.. every hour it makes a different bird chirp :D
You think that's bad? My dad is crazy with grandfather clocks and... basically any/every clock that make loud noises. My parent's house has a big grandfather clock that rings every 15 minutes in the living room and another one on the opposite side of the room on the wall that also sings loudly every 15 minutes, 2 wall clocks that sings every 30 minutes in the family room, 1 very loud bird clock up stairs in between the bedrooms, and a loud different-song-every-hour wall clock in another part of the hall way upstairs. This is not counting all the little clocks that you have to twine and they make the -click click click click- sound all day long all over the house. I always challenge anyone that comes to they're house to try to look at any direction and not see a clock in the house, including down in the basement. I think that's why he wakes up at 5 every morning and wakes me up at around 7 everyday whenever I'm home.

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LMAO! You must never have gotten any sleep. Gosh.. how many clocks does he have in all? Especially being GRANDFATHER CLOCKS!!! :eek: hehehehehe

My brother had like 20 clocks... He was a big clock collector.. Man was it annoying.. all in all we have like 25 clocks in the house.

Originally posted by lam
You think that's bad? My dad is crazy with grandfather clocks and... basically any/every clock that make loud noises. My parent's house has a big grandfather clock that rings every 15 minutes in the living room and another one on the opposite side of the room on the wall that also sings loudly every 15 minutes, 2 wall clocks that sings every 30 minutes in the family room, 1 very loud bird clock up stairs in between the bedrooms, and a loud different-song-every-hour wall clock in another part of the hall way upstairs. This is not counting all the little clocks that you have to twine and they make the -click click click click- sound all day long all over the house. I always challenge anyone that comes to they're house to try to look at any direction and not see a clock in the house, including down in the basement. I think that's why he wakes up at 5 every morning and wakes me up at around 7 everyday whenever I'm home.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Just bring the crix into your room and sleep with them for one nite. You won't even notice them after the first nite.

lol
:rolleyes:

LOL! :D

To make crickets quiet(er), i put their little tank in a wardrobe and throw clothes over it. They're being kinda awfully quiet this morning though..I wonder if they're dead, hmm..had them since sometimes in November, when I bought them

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could buy silent crickets. They almost make me like crickets again, if it wasn't for the smell. uuhg, i hate the smell of crickets.

Dan.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The thing to do is buy immature crickets and use them up before they reach their ultimate molt. Only the mature (with wings) male crickets chirp.

The other option is cockroaches or mealworms.

Wade

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are silent crickets desert crickets? Whatever, do they stink more than black fieldcrickets?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Next time you buy some at the pet store just ask for females.
The place I go to will do requests anyway.

John
];')

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know how it is that they make the crickets silent, i think they've been selectively bred to not have the wing case that vibrates to make the chirping noise. So even the adult males make absolutely no noise at all. I don't think they are a species of cricket, more of a hybrid. They look a lot like a cross between black field crickets and brown crickets, so maybe that is how they were created, i 'm not sure to be honest. I get mine from www.uk.globallivefood.com.

Cheers,

Dan.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That was probably the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Possibly even the scariest. ;P

In Him,
Marcus

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Arn't the female crickets the ones with wings and the only ones that can churp? I had it in my head that it was females, if its the males let me know!

Mark

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both the adult males and females have wings, but it's only the males that have the stridulating organs that allow them to make the chirping noise using the wing case. I don't know what it is that makes the little buggers smell so much though.

Cheers,

Dan